Good day, Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top Coronavirus (COVID-19) news headlines for today Friday, May 29, 2020.
Below is a roundup of top stories on the COVID-19 disease…
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, has confirmed one hundred and eighty-two new cases of Coronavirus in Nigeria.
The agency confirmed the new cases on its verified Twitter handle on Thursday night at about 11:27 pm. This brings the overall cases of COVID-19 in Nigeria to 8915.
Naija News understands also that so far, 2592 patients have been discharged and declared free of the novel virus, while 259 is reported dead.
The Ogun state governor, Dapo Abiodun has moved to relax the lockdown in the state.
Recall that the Governor had pronounced a total lockdown in a bid to flatten the curve of the coronavirus pandemic.
Abiodun yesterday announced that lockdown while addressing newsmen on the efforts of the government to fight the spread of the deadly virus.
He said the state residents can now move around from June 1.
Gov. Abiodun, however, stated that lockdown must still be observed on weekends, saying residents are not allowed to go out on Saturdays and Sundays.
During the press briefing, the governor said resident would be allowed to move around from morning to evening, unlike before when they were only allowed to be outside between 7 am and 5 pm.
The Kogi State Government has rejected the report of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, (NCDC) that two cases of COVID-19 were recorded within the province.
Speaking on the alleged report via a statement on Wednesday, Saka Haruna Audu, Kogi health commissioner, said the state government has developed “full testing capacity” and “conducted hundreds of tests” which have all come back negative.
Naija news recalled that the health monitoring agency NCDC had the contrary position as the centre revealed that two people have tested positive for COVID-19 in the state.
However, In the statement, Audu said the state would not be a party “to any fictitious COVID-19 claims”.