Naija News had reported earlier that the British-Nigerian boxer suffered humiliating defeat on his United States debut after being knocked down four times by the Mexican-American boxer, to leave him out of the heavyweight championship.
Ruiz Jr. stopped Joshua in the seventh round of the fight on Saturday, June 1, at the Madison Square Garden, New York, USA, to become the first Mexican-American heavyweight world champion.
Joshua, a British title-holder, was defending his IBF, WBA and WBO World Heavyweight Titles in the fight against Ruiz, but the underdog knocked him down four times after which he (Ruiz) was awarded a technical knockout.
Moments after the match, Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn, who spoke in the ring after AJ’s shock seventh-round stoppage loss at Madison Square Garden, confirmed that they will be invoking the rematch clause.
“The rematch will be in the UK in November or December. Now we’ll see what AJ is about, this will be a big rematch but Ruiz deserves it,’ he told Sky Sports Box Office.
“We’ll make the rematch in the UK in November/December, but tonight is all about Andy Ruiz.
“Now we’ll see what AJ is about. He’s got the heart of a lion, I’m sure he’ll come back,” he said.
However, Naija News understands that the may not be for all three titles, IBF, WBA and WBO World Heavyweight Titles which Ruiz won.
It is beleived that the IBF, one of the sanctioning bodies, could call the Mexican-American boxer to defend the belt against mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev.
If, as is likely, Ruiz opted to instead face Joshua in a money-spinning second fight, he would be stripped of the belt, Miror UK reports.
Naija News understands that Tyson Fury suffered this when he refused to defend his title against Vyacheslav Glazkov following his win over Wladimir Klitschko in 2015.
Source: Naija News