Premier League side, Manchester United has rejected a loan offer from Spanish club, Sevilla for French striker Anthony Martial.
Naija News learned that Sevilla proposed a straight loan deal until the end of the season, paying just half of the player’s £150,000-per-week wages and without any option or obligation to buy.
However, United rejected the offer as they are reluctant for any player to leave on loan and would also prefer any deal to see wages paid in full as well as an additional loan fee.
Recall that Martial had stated his intention to leave Old Trafford earlier this month via a statement from his representative Philippe Lamboley.
According to reports in the UK, Martial’s preferred destination is Sevilla amid interest from Barcelona and Juventus.
Martial became the world’s most expensive teenager when he joined United from Monaco in 2015 and he has gone on to score 79 times in 268 appearances for the club.
The 26-year-old has fallen out of favour in the forward positions following the signings of Cristiano Ronaldo and Jadon Sancho in the summer, as well as the emergence of Mason Greenwood.
Meanwhile, United interim manager Ralf Rangnick confirmed Martial told him he wants to leave the club during talks between the pair.
In an interview on Monday, the German boss said he understands the situation but adamant any move must be right for the club.
He had said: “We spoke at length on Wednesday. He explained to me he’s been at Manchester United now for the last seven years and he feels it’s the right time for a change, to go somewhere else.
“I think in a way this is understandable, I could follow his thoughts. But, on the other hand, it’s also important to see the situation of the club; we have Covid times, we have three competitions in which we still have high ambitions and want to be as successful as we can be.
“I told him ‘listen, as long as there is no club showing interest in you…’ – and it should not only be in the interest of the player, but it should also be in the interest of the club.
“So far, as far as I know, there has been no offer from any other club and as long as this is the case he will stay.”
Download NAIJA NEWS app: