The Governor of Borno State, Babagana Zulum, on Wednesday visited victims of Boko Haram attacks in two hospitals.
Naija News had earlier reported that the terrorist group fired shots from Rocket Propelled Grenades at residents in Maiduguri on Tuesday.
The Governor in a statement released on Wednesday said 10 residents were killed and 47 others injured.
The shots, on Tuesday night, came from Kaleri, an outskirt of Maiduguri, but grenades travelled to hit Gwange and Adam kolo communities.
It was gathered that most of the deaths occurred in Gwange when an RPG shot hit a children’s playground in Gwange.
Zulum condemned the attacks during his visits to the State Specialist Hospital, and the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, both in Maiduguri.
It was reported that the governor directed the ministry of health in the state to pay for the bills of the victims.
“Indeed it is a very sad moment for the people and government of Borno state, about 60 persons were affected, among them, 10 have died. It was as a result of long-distance shots fired by the insurgents.”
“I believe this is a new trend we have to raise up and stop. We experienced a similar incident exactly one year ago. The solution is to deploy an appropriate form of technology, which will have to work on.”
“I share the pains of all those affected but we are not just visiting hospitals, we do so much behind the scene in our combined responses to the Boko Haram insurgency and we will keep making these and more efforts,” Zulum said.
Speaking on the military’s regain of Marte, which came under Boko Haram’s occupation a few days ago, Zulum said he was optimistic that the Nigerian military will work had to retain, continue its peace-building and stability efforts in ways that should ensure the insurgents do not take Marte again, or any part of the state.
“I am optimistic that the insurgents will not take over Marte again,” he added.