The Supreme Court of Nigeria has declared Senator Hope Uzodinma as the duly elected governor of Imo State.
Nigeria’s apex court gave the verdict on Tuesday, 14th January, 2020 when it delivered a final ruling in the dispute arising from the outcome of the 2019 governorship election in Imo State.
Naija News has compiled some important facts and things to note about Senator Uzodinma.
1. Hope Uzodinma is a Nigerian politician born in 1959 (61 years).
2. He attended Mgbidi Secondary School, Orlu west in Imo State where he obtained his secondary school certificate in 1982.
3. Uzodinma has a bachelor’s degree in International Studies and an advanced diploma in Transport Studies. He is also a recipient of a honorary doctorate degree from the Imo state university.
4. Before the return of democracy in 1999, Uzodinma was the youth leader of the defunct National Party of Nigeria (NPN) in Imo in the second republic. He was also a prominent member of the now defunct United Nigeria Congress Party (UNCP).
5. In 2003, he contested for the office of the governor of Imo state on the ticket of Alliance for Democracy (AD) but he did not win.
6. He was elected Senator for the Orlu (Imo West) constituency of Imo State, in April 2011 federal elections in Nigeria on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and was reelected in 2015.
7. After defecting to the All Progressives Congress (APC), he clinched the party’s ticket to contest the state’s governorship election In 2019.
8. He clinched the APC ticket seven months after leaving the Peoples Democratic Party.
He is set to be sworn-in as the governor of Imo State following Tuesday’s Supreme Court judgment.