Al-Shabaab Allegedly Attacks Kenya, Kills Four
Police in Kenya has reported in a statement released that four people have been killed in the northern Kenyan town of Mandera, a part of Kenya that borders Somalia.
The attack was alleged to have been carried out by an Islamist group, Al-shabaab.
On Thursday, the four men who were reported killed are said to be non-Muslims and also not from that area, while further report has it that they were either shot dead or hacked by machete.
“They were killed at the quarry during the attack,” said regional police commander Mohamud Saleh. “We suspect Al-Shabaab and we are pursuing them.”
A senior source of the police who spoke on the ground of anonymity, stated that the group of more than 10 attackers “opened fire indiscriminately at the workers” and led to injury of many.
Charles Owino, National police spokesman confirmed the killings.
“The attack was targeting non-locals and all those who died are not from here.”
Owino revealed that attack had earlier been reported and security was beefed up in the region, however “no one knew exactly where” the attack would be.
A major security operation was launched Friday to track the attackers, believed to have fled to Somalia.
The Shabaab is fighting to overthrow the internationally backed government in Mogadishu but also regularly carries out attacks in neighbouring Kenya, which has troops in Somalia as part of an African Union force.
In its bloodiest single attack on Kenya so far, Shabaab gunmen raided a university in Garissa in April 2015 killing 148 people, most of them students, while in 2013 the group killed at least 67 people in an assault on a shopping mall in Nairobi.