Rann Attack: Corpses Of Aid Workers Taken To Mortuary, One Still Missing | Naija News
Connect with us

 

News

Rann Attack: Corpses Of Aid Workers Taken To Mortuary, One Still Missing

Published

on

The bodies of three of the four aid workers killed in Rann in Borno State have been deposited at a mortuary in Maiduguri.

The corpses were transported to the Maiduguri airport by helicopter and taken to the mortuary by ambulances.

Suspected Boko Haram militants killed at least 11 people in the attack in the community, near the Cameroon border, and a female nurse was abducted.

The United Nations confirmed the aid workers were all Nigerian nationals, and President Muhammadu Buhari has condemned the attack, describing Boko Haram as godless, brutish, and despicable.

He also sympathized with the United Nations and other humanitarian agencies working in Nigeria.

Speaking on the ugly incident, Samantha Newport, Head of Communications, UNICEF Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), confirmed the incident to reporters on Friday in Maidguri.

Newport said two of the deceased were personnel of UN client organisation, International Organisation of Migration (IOM), deployed to Rann as camp managers.

She added that others killed were a medical doctor working as a consultant with UNICEF and an aid worker with the International Committee of Red Cross (ICRC) affiliate organisation.

The UNICEF communications head said a female nurse was abducted, while another female aid worker was injured in the attack.

She explained that all the deceased personnel were Nigerians, adding that the world body would soon issue a statement on the incident.

Naija News had earlier reported that President Buhari on Friday as offered his sympathy to United Nations and other Humanitarian agencies that lost their workers to the attack by Boko Haram insurgents.

Source: Naija News