Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State has confirmed the arrest of some of the attackers of St Francis Catholic Church in Owo, Ondo State.
Naija News earlier reported that the Defence Headquarters had said the Nigerian military arrested the killers of 40 worshippers at the Catholic Church on June 5.
The Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor, stated this on Tuesday during a media parley at the Defence Headquarters, Abuja.
Irabor disclosed that the attackers were arrested by the military in collaboration with other security agencies, adding that the suspects would be paraded after the ongoing investigation had been concluded on the matter.
Speaking to reporters in Akure on Tuesday, Akeredolu disclosed that the suspects were arrested last week and he has seen the photographs of the suspects.
The governor said five of the attackers were arrested by the security operatives, adding that they were on the trail of the other suspects.
Akeredolu also revealed that the owner of the house where the attackers stayed before the June 5 attack in Owo had also been arrested.
He said “I can confirm what the CDS have said. They were arrested last week and the photographs of the suspects were forwarded to me.
“About five of them have been arrested while they’re on the trail of others.”
“The home where they lodged in Owo and the person that accommodated them before the attack, has also been arrested.
“We did not spare a moment. I am happy that the Chief of Defence Staff has announced it. We have known for a while but we needed not to come out with it because more works are still ongoing.
“I can confirm that this arrest has been made and they are still on the trail of some of them.”
Akeredolu has also called on leaders of the Ebira community in the state to warn the young ones against the bad venture of kidnapping.
The governor said recent reports from kidnap victims in the state have established that some Ebira indigenes are involved in the unwholesome act.
He noted that the Ebiras have lived together with the people of the state peacefully for several decades, adding that they have always been supportive and hardworking.
“I want to use this medium to urge our brothers to concentrate on their farming trade. It will be unfortunate to know that the Ebiras in our midst are now involved in the kidnapping.
“We are appealing to them not to copy bad things. The traders selling by the roadside should not become informants.
“We are not fighting them; we have seen their numbers, they supported and voted for us during elections. I will call their leaders and talk to them.
“Our brothers who were kidnapped on their way to Ikare; talk to them, they were taken to Ebira farmsteads.
“For me, we have lived together for too long for this to happen. I am ready to make any effort to ensure that the conviviality that we have enjoyed continues.
“But we are begging their leaders to urge them not to copy bad things. They are in our midst, we are surrounded by them. The issue of security is key and it’s dynamic,” he said.