Good morning Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top newspapers headlines in Nigeria for today, Tuesday, 3rd May 2022
President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday spoke about his successor ahead of the 2023 general election.
Recall that President Buhari during an interview last year had stated that his successor might be eliminated if he reveals the identity.
Buhari while speaking after joining other Muslims to observe Eid-el-Fitr prayers at the parade ground, Mambilla Barrack in Abuja, restated the commitment of his administration to free, fair and transparent process.
The President when asked who would be his successor said, “The person that Nigerians elect.”
A chieftain of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Osita Okechukwu has declared that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is unwilling to zone its 2023 presidential ticket to the south because it wants a northern candidate that can secure votes from the region.
Okechukwu, who is the Director-General (DG) of Voice of Nigeria (VON) stated that the PDP wants to mop up the northern votes that usually come for President Muhammadu Buhari knowing fully well that he won’t be on the ballot for the 2023 election.
He however added that the act which he described as desperate on the part of the PDP may cost the southern zone the 2023 presidency and should that happen, Nigerians should blame the PDP squarely.
He said the PDP is desperate to return to power so they can once again have the opportunity to loot the country’s national treasury.
Former Governor of Jigawa State Sule Lamido has warned former President Goodluck Jonathan against plans to defect to the All Progressive Congress, APC.
Speaking to Vanguard, the former governor said that Jonathan was seeking God’s wrath If he abandons PDP to pitch his tent with APC.
Lamido stated further that the ex-president should not forget in a hurry how PDP stood by him during the 2015 campaign, explaining that APC persecuted PDP members for supporting Jonathan during the 2015 presidential campaign.
Biafra Republic agitator, Nnamdi Kanu has challenged the amended seven terrorism charges granted by Justice Binta Nyako of a Federal High Court in Abuja.
The leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) made this known in a suit filed at the Abuja Division of the Court of Appeal filed by his lawyers, Mike Ozekhome (SAN) and Ifeanyi Ejiofor.
In the suit, Kanu asked the appeal court to strike out the amended seven charges of terrorism instituted against him by the Federal Government, adding that the charge against him was legally defective.
Recall that Justice Nyako had April 8, 2022, struck out eight out of the 15-count treasonable felony charge filed against the IPOB leader by the Muhammadu Buhari-led government.
President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed displeasure over the rate of building collapses across the country while commiserating with families of those who died, sustained injuries and was affected by the building collapse at Ibadan Street, Ebute Metta, Lagos.
Buhari in a statement on Monday via his media aide, Femi Adesina said it is high time the relevant state authorities collaborate with professional bodies to halt the tragic occurrence across the country.
The President, who said he is pained by this tragic incident, praised the courage and determination of the first responders, national and sub-national emergency agencies in Lagos State, and compassionate Nigerians, for their quick actions in the aftermath of the three-story building collapse, which resulted in the rescue of several people, including many children.
Buhari also wished those who had been injured a speedy recovery and prayed for divine help in the ongoing search and rescue efforts.
The Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar III has urged Nigerians to be guided by Allah, and not just their personal interests in choosing the next set of leaders in 2023.
Speaking in his Sallah message to Nigerians on Monday, the Sultan said Nigerians must allow peace and love to reign even as political activities increase ahead of the general elections.
He urged both politicians and other Nigerians not to forget the lessons of Ramadan but embrace peace and unity for the sake of a greater Nigeria.
The Sultan who is also the President-General, Nigeria Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), called on politicians to practice peace and ensure their supporters and followers do the same.
7. ASUU Strike: Nwajiuba Should Have Been Invited For Questioning After Purchasing ₦100m APC Form – Osodeke
The National Chairman of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Prof. Emmanuel Osodeke has tackled the Minister of State for Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba for joining the 2023 presidential race amidst the challenges in the country’s educational sector.
The ASUU Chairman said in a country where things were normal, the Minister should have been picked up and questioned by security operatives on how he got ₦100m to purchase the presidential forms of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
According to Osodeke, he wonders how Nwajiuba who has not been able to solve the problem of his own Ministry (education) alone wants to solve the problems of the entire country.
He also called out the government for failing to meet the demands of ASUU, adding that the government should be blamed for the strike.
A former Governor of Akwa Ibom State and Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Senator Godswill Akpabio, is set to formally declare his interest to succeed President Muhamamdu Buhari in 2023.
According to his media aide, Anietie Ekong, Akpabio will declare his intention to join the presidential race on Wednesday, April 4, in Uyo, the Akwa Ibom capital.
Ekong added that the minister will be contesting the 2023 presidency on the platform of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
Akpabio will join the likes of Vice President Yemi Osinbajo; APC National Leader, Bola Tinubu; Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige; Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, and Minister of State for Education, Chukuemeka Nwajiuba, to contest for the APC presidential ticket on May 30.
The Lagos State Government has started evacuating occupants of a three-storey building that collapsed in Ebute Metta on Sunday night.
The Zonal Coordinator Southwest, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Ibrahim Farinloye, stated this in an interview with reporters on Monday in Lagos.
Farinloye stated officials of the Lagos State Building Collapse Agency (LASBCA) had begun the evacuation of occupants of the distressed building before it finally collapsed on Sunday.
The NEMA official said the evacuation was ongoing to save lives and property, adding that the building had shown signs of serious distress, with part falling off.
World soccer ruling body, FIFA has imposed a 150,000 Swiss Franc (about 154,128.75 USD) fine on Nigeria following the unruly behaviour of the fans at the end of the second leg Qatar 2022 World Cup play-off between the Super Eagles and Black Stars of Ghana at the Moshood Abiola Stadium on March 29.
There was a reported break of law and order after the ill-fated 1-1 draw encounter as the Black Stars edged Nigeria out of the Qatar 2022 World Cup race on the away goals rule.
FIFA has also ordered Nigeria to play the next home game behind closed doors and that will be against Sierra Leone.