Connect with us


News

Gulak: Ohanaeze Reacts To Southeast Travel Ban By Northern Elders

Published

on

An advisory issued by the Arewa Consultative Forum to northerners following the gruesome murder of Ahmed Gulak has been condemned in its totality by the Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide.

The ACF had earlier warned the people of the north against embarking on any journey to the southern region of the country, except for issues of life and death. Naija News understands that the warning comes after the gruesome killing of Ahmed Gulak by some gunmen alleged to be members of the Eastern Security Network and men of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

“Unless the trips are absolutely necessary and of compelling nature, like matters of life and death, they should not be made”, Ogbe warned.

However, reacting to the advisory in a statement in which copy is made available to reporters, Alex Ogbonnia, National Publicity Secretary, said ACF’s advisory is capable of causing chaos between the regions.

Ogbonnia condemned the narrative that the South East has been taken over by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and unknown gunmen. He stressed that the gruesome assassination of Gulak is painful and has been condemned in strong terms by Governor Hope Uzodinma, Imo people and groups including Ohanaeze.

Ohanaeze had hailed the Northern Governors Forum for demanding that the murder be treated as a criminal act and warning that politicization of issues surrounding the death could lead to further violence in Nigeria.

Recalling the recent abduction of over 200 school children in Niger State, killings in the Northern States, Ohanaeze said it wondered why the ACF singled out the South East as a no-go-area for the Northerners.

“The reference by Chief Ogbe to the killings of northern leaders in 1966 that triggered the events that led to a civil war that cost the country thousands of lives, and untold suffering to millions of innocent people is, to say the least very inflammatory, incendiary, unreflective and unguarded.

The statement reads further: “It should be noted that Igbos have suffered immeasurably in the current Nigerian dilemma. In Nimbo community of Enugu State, at about 5.15 am on April 25, 2016, the armed herdsmen numbering over 500 struck, killing 54 people.

“The Governor of Enugu State, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi pleaded with the indigenes to accept the incident as an act of God. On March 30, 2021, Egedege community in Ebonyi State witnessed a horrendous sight of 18 persons slaughtered by the Fulani herdsmen.

“Governor Dave Umahi could not withhold his tears as he saw the 18 corpses of Ebonyi State indigenes killed spread like fish in the cold room. On Monday, the Commissioner for Capital City Development announced armed herdsmen invaded Ndiobashi in Izzi land and killed so many of our people.”

Ohanaeze reminded Ogbe and the ACF that it is the federating capacity of the Igbo, their fortitude and readiness to adapt to every part of the country, that have served as the salt without which the concept of Nigeria becomes tasteless. It further rated the statement by Chief Ogbe as baleful and urged the Nigerian government and patriots to hold Ogbe responsible because his remarks are capable of rocking the already precarious boat.

“It is strange that the leaders that have gained everything from Nigeria are always the first to set it on fire”, the statement added.