Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom has apologized to the families of the 11 soldiers and one officer killed while on official duty in Bonta Village, Konshisha Local Government Area of the state.
The Governor while speaking on Monday during the burial of the soldiers at the military cemetery close to Wurukwum roundabout in Makurdi promised that the killers would be fished out and dealt with according to the law.
Ortom added that the soldiers paid the supreme price to keep others safe and their sacrifice must not be allowed to be in vain.
“We condemn the killing of the soldiers who were out to maintain peace. Attack on security men is an attack on all. The attack was uncalled for and unwarranted.
“They were out to keep peace and got killed in the process otherwise, we all know what soldiers would ordinarily do in such a situation,” he said.
The Governor added that any uncomplimentary remarks that might have originated from him about the incident are deeply regretted as he spoke based on information available to him at the time.
“If I said anything that was offensive to the families, I ask for their forgiveness. I earlier said only two soldiers were involved based on the information available to me at that time.”
As earlier reported by Naija News, the military authorities had earlier confirmed the killing of 11 soldiers and one officer who were on a peacekeeping mission between the Bonta community in Konshisha and the Ukpute-Ainu community in Okay LGA over a land dispute.
The deaths were confirmed in a statement issued by the Spokesman of the Nigerian Army, Brigadier General Mohammed Yerima.
Present on Monday at the burial of the slain soldiers were Governor Ortom, the Commander of Operation Whirl Stroke OPWS, Maj. Gen. Adeyemi Yekini, the Commanding Officer, 72 Battalion, military personnel as well as family members of the deceased soldiers.
Meanwhile, pictures of the 11 soldiers and an officer killed by a militia in the Bonta community of Konshisha council area of Benue State have emerged.
Source: Naija News