Joe Ligon, a man who was convicted in 1953 for allegedly involved in a robbery which claimed two lives has been released from jail.
Naija News understands that the old man got released from the Pennsylvania prison after clocking age 83.
Reports have it that Ligon was handed a mandatory life sentence in the early 50s after pleading guilty to charges from a robbery where he stabbed numbers of people, leaving no fewer than six people wounded and two dead.
A hearing found Ligon guilty of two counts of first-degree murder, and the suspect admitted to stabbing at least one of the eight people stabbed that day but his attorney Bradley Bridge said his client maintains he never killed anyone.
“The child that committed those crimes back in 1953 no longer exists. The person that came out of prison in 2021 is 83 years old, has grown, changed, and is no longer a threat,” said Bridge.
He added: “He has amply repaid society for the damage and harm that he did. And now, it’s appropriate that he spends the last years of his life in freedom.”
“I’m a grownup now,” Ligon said to CNN. “I’m not a kid anymore. Not only am I a grown man, I’m an old man and getting older every day.”
Naija News learnt that Ligon and his accomplices were granted the option of clemency from Pennsylvania’s governor in the 1970s, but the suspect rejected it since clemency meant being on parole. He was said to have turned down another offer of parole in 2017, stating parole would not grant him the freedom he desired after decades in prison.
“The state parole board presumably would have released him but on condition that he would be under their supervision for the rest of his life,” Bridge said.
“He chose not to seek parole under those terms.”
Naija News understands that Bridge had been defending Ligon now for over 15 years. According to him earlier, the mandatory life sentence for a crime Ligon committed as a juvenile was unconstitutional.
Bridge brought the case to the federal court and won the issue in November 2020, which ultimately granted Ligon freedom under his own terms in 2021.
“Now Ligon is out of prison, and is trying to readapt to society,” he said.
In another news, founder, Christ Apostolic Miracle Ministry, Apostle Okikijesu released fresh prophecies about some prominent Christian clergymen in the world.
In the prophecies released on Thursday, Apostle Okikijesu also warned people involved in homosexuality and transgender activities, Naija News reports.
Source: Naija News
Nollywood Actor, Edochie Sends Message To Sheikh Gumi
Nigerian actor and politician, Yul Edochie, has condemned renowned Islamic Scholar, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi for asking Nigerians to stop addressing bandits as criminals.
Edochie in a three minutes video published on his YouTube page on Friday morning, February 26 described as ‘total nonsense’ Sheikh Gumi’s statement on how Nigerians should address the Fulani killer herdsmen.
The actor stated that a spade must be called a spade if Nigeria must move forward. He said we must be ready to identify the truth and speak the truth irrespective of who is involved.
Edochie said there are bound to be agitation from anywhere and a good leader must be ready to look into the situation. He, however, condemned moving around with firearms, killing, raping and assault of innocent Nigerians by the Fulani killer herdsmen.
He described the herder’s activities as criminals and hence they should be treated as criminals.
See the video below as Edochie slammed the Gumi for defending the bandits:
Naija News reports that the bandits revealed this while warning a negotiator against rescue moves by the vigilantes and other security agencies in the state.
Biafra: How Nigerian Army Tried To Assassinate IPOB’s Lawyer – Nnamdi Kanu
The leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, has accused the Nigerian Army of allegedly attempting to assassinate Barrister Chukwuemeka Okoroafor.
In a press statement released to newsmen on Thursday by the spokesperson of IPOB, Emma Powerful, Nnamdi Kanu claimed that Okoroafor was ambushed by men who came out of a white Hilux truck on Suleja-Bida highway on Thursday and opened fire on his car.
He said the lawyer was leaving Alpha Military Commando Base in Suleja where he had gone to confirm an intelligence report regarding some Biafran agitators detained by the Nigerian Army, when he was attacked.
Nnamdi Kanu said: “Barrister Okoroafor went to the Alpha Military Commando Base in Suleja to confirm intelligence reports from credible sources that civilians being held at this military detention camp are all missing Biafrans, including Elvis Ngozi and 109 others.
“Upon exiting this facility and into Suleja-Bida Road, an unmarked white Hilux truck pulled up by the side of his vehicle and opened fire on him in an effort to kill him. The same thing they did to Barrister Ejiofor about two years ago when they invaded his country home in a similar state-sponsored attempt to assassinate him.
“Barrister Okoroafor told me that before leaving the base, he discovered that the left rear wheel of his SUV was marked with black paint. He drove into Suleja Area Command and made a report. Shortly afterwards he was attacked on the road. This testimony convinced me that the attackers were members of Nigeria’s security agents.”
The IPOB leader claimed that the alleged attack on Okoroafor was an attempt to scare lawyers from working with the pro-Biafra group.
He said: “The whole world must take note of this barbaric attack against innocent Barrister Chukwuemeka Richard Okoroafor in Abuja today being the 25th day of February, 2021, a lawyer who is doing his professional job.
“Since the Nigerian Army and police have taken it upon themselves to assassinate IPOB lawyers and to stop IPOB from challenging them with self-evident truth in their own law courts, they will soon reap the fruit of their evil deed. We, therefore, demand the immediate release of all sex slaves in the custody of the Nigerian Army.”
Imo: ‘Your Turn Has Finally Come’ – Nnamdi Kanu Mocks Police, Army
The leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, has taken to social media to mock the Nigeria Police Force and Army over reprisal attack by citizens.
Kanu in a tweet on his Twitter handle on Friday morning, February 26 said the security agencies are now enjoying what they sowed during the Obigbo and Lekki Toll Gate incidents that caused the loss of lives a few months ago.
Naija News understands that the IPOB leader was reacting to the ongoing crisis in Imo State. It was reported earlier that some hoodlums threw inflammable objects at the Aboh Mbaise Divisional Police Headquarters in Imo State and burnt down the police facility.
The development ignited the environment, causing the policemen on guard, suspects, and natives to run into nearby bushes.
Confirming the report a source said, “This is very strange. Fleeing hoodlums have just razed Aboh Mbaise Divisional Police headquarters. They didn’t bother going into the compound. They just threw ignitable objects on the Divisional headquarters and drove off few minutes after it caught fire.
“All the policemen on duty including suspects who were being detained ran into the nearby bushes. Locals also fled their homes as the fire raged. We have not seen this one before.”
Affirming to the incident, a police spokesperson for the state command, Orlando Ikeokwu, said no policeman was lost to the incident.
Reacting to the development moments later, Kanu took to the micro-blogging platform and wrote: “Nigerian Police & Nigerian Army, do you think that those you killed their brothers and sisters in #Obigbo and #LekkiTollGate, will sit back and watch all of you enjoy your lives? Hell No!”
“Seems your turn has finally come, please enjoy it to the fullest!”
See the tweet below:
Nigerian Police & Nigerian Army, do you think that those you killed their brothers and sisters in #Obigbo and #LekkiTollGate, will sit back and watch all of you enjoy your lives? Hell No!
Seems your turn has finally come, please enjoy it to the fullest!#StopPoliceBrutality
— Mazi Nnamdi Kanu (@MaziNnamdiKanu) February 26, 2021