Connect with us



LASU Pioneer Vice-Chancellor, Prof Folabi Olumide Dies At 81




The pioneer Vice-Chancellor of the Lagos State University (LASU), Professor Folabi Olumide has died at the age of 81.

The academic and medical surgeon died on Friday, 8th January after a brief illness, Naija News understands.

His death was confirmed in a statement on Friday by the current LASU Vice-Chancellor, Professor Olanrewaju Adigun Fagbohun who prayed God to give family members and other associates the fortitude to bear the loss.

The late Professor Olumide was the pioneer VC of LASU between 1983 and 1988.

The statement confirming his death reads: “The Vice Chancellor, Lagos State University, Professor Olanrewaju Adigun Fagbohun, SAN, NPOM, on behalf of the University Governing Council, the Senate, University Management, Staff and Students, with deep regret, hereby announces the passing away of its first Vice Chancellor, Professor Folabi Olumide.”

“The Vice Chancellor commiserates with his family, the LASU Community, Friends and Associates on this irreplaceable loss. He prays that the Almighty God gives the Family and all, the soothing comfort to bear this great loss.”

“Late Professor Folabi Olumide, a Nigerian Academic and Medical Surgeon would be remembered for being the pioneer Vice Chancellor of Lagos State University, between 1983 – 1988, amongst other notable feats.”

“As a mark of honour, respect and appreciation in respect of his achievements during his stint as the first Vice Chancellor of the University, the University Management rechristened the LASU Health Centre as ” Folabi Olumide Health Centre”.

Meanwhile, the Yobe State Police Command has revealed more information about Wednesday night’s attack by Boko Haram on Geidam town in the State.

Naija News had reported that the attack happened at about 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday evening.

The insurgents stormed the town shooting sporadically causing many residents to panic and flee into the bush while others hid in their houses.

Information gathered disclosed that the terrorist planted themselves at strategic locations as the Geidam market and patiently waiting for the right time to strike.

The spokesperson of the command, Dungus Abdulkarim, stated that the insurgents were spotted around 1 pm and the rumour went fast and almost disrupted the market activities as people tried to run away.

However, they decided to discard the rumours and went back to their activities in the market, unknown to everyone that Boko Haram members were executing another plan to attack.