Here Are The Major Nigerian Newspaper Headlines For Wednesday, 20th February 2019
Professor Mahmood Yakubu, Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission, has reacted to comments by President Muhammadu Buhari that the Military and the Police be ruthless at ballot box snatchers.
Yakubu, who spoke in Abuja today said he believes that ballot box snatchers should be punished only in accordance with the electoral law.
A Court of Appeal in Ilorin, the Kwara state capital has sacked the Hon Ishola Balogun-Fulani faction of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state and upheld the Hon Bashir Bolarinwa-led APC executives in the state.
A Kwara state High Court had December 19th last year ruled that the dissolved Ishola Balogun-Fulani executive is the authentic exco of the APC in the state.
As Nigerians prepare to vote on Saturday, a former Senate President, Ameh Ebute has accused former president Olusegun Obasanjo and the Peoples Democratic Party of allegedly planning to destabilize Nigeria.
Ebute stated that the union between the former president and the leadership of PDP was aimed at unsettling and killing Nigeria.
The Peoples Democratic Party on Tuesday, 19th February, held a special National Executive Committee meeting at the party’s headquarters in Abuja.
Senator Bukola Saraki, Nigeria’s Senate President and Director-General of the Atiku Abubakar Presidential Campaign, spoke at the occasion.
Governor Seriake Dickson of Bayelsa State has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to convene an emergency meeting of the Council of State.
Speaking to newsmen in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa State capital, the governor noted that the meeting was needed to discuss issues around the postponement of the general elections and the modalities to ensure credible polls.
A referendum for the Republic of Biafra will be achieved “either sanctioned by the Nigerian state or not”, Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), has said.
Naija News reports that the secessionist leader made this comment in an interview with Newsweek.
Presidential candidate of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, has approached a High Court in Federal Capital Territory, asking it to bar President Muhammadu Buhari and security agencies in the country from interfering with the general election.
Atiku further asked the court to compel Buhari to pay him damages in the aggregate sum of N2 billion, as well as tender a public apology to him, for sponsoring frivolous suits against him.
Nasir El-Rufai, Kaduna State governor, has alleged that there are plans to wipe out some communities in the state.
This he said today while briefing State House correspondents after an expanded meeting called by President Muhammadu Buhari.
The governor, who was reacting to recent attacks in some communities in Kajuru local government, said the death toll has risen to 130, up from the 66 he earlier announced last week.
President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday, held an emergency security meeting with service chiefs, some ministers and governors of selected states.
The meeting, which commenced at about 11 am, held at the President’s office in the Presidential Villa in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital.
The Department of State Services (DSS), has reacted to rumours that the sacked former DG of the outfit, Lawal Daura is still controlling its activities.
Peter Afunanya, Public Relations Officer of the secret police in a press release made available to Naija News on Tuesday, said anybody or group (s) of people that deals with Daura or his representatives, does so at his/her own risk.
Copyright Naija News 2019. All rights reserved. You may only share Naija News content using our sharing buttons. Send all news and press releases to email@example.com.