The General Secretary of the Nigeria Football Federation, Mohammed Sanusi has debunked reports that the Falconets were stranded at the Istanbul airport, Turkey.
Naija News reports that earlier on Wednesday morning, photos of the Falconets sleeping on bare floors and chairs made the rounds online, which generated outrage.
However, Sanusi during an interview with PUNCH said the girls missed their connecting flight from Istanbul, Turkey to Nigeria.
He further described the reports as mischievous and misleading, saying the airline was at fault.
Sanusi added that the Falconets had finally boarded a flight to Abuja.
He said: “The Falconets were not stranded in Turkey; to say the girls were stranded is a mischievous statement. It’s the fault of the airline.
“By the time they arrived in Istanbul, the connecting Turkish Airline flight that was supposed to convey them from Turkey to Abuja had left and the Falconets had to wait for the next flight.”
The Falconets won all their group stage matches in Costa Rica but lost to The Netherlands 2-0 in the quarter-finals to exit the tournament.