Connect with us



Man Sets Estranged Wife On Fire, Woman Holds On To Him, Both Die



A man identified as Ponle Adebanjo has reportedly burnt his wife to death after she left him on the grounds of domestic violence in Otun-Akute area of Ogun State.

The unfortunate incident reportedly occurred on Saturday, Punch Metro reports.

The suspect had visited his estranged wife in her home, poured petrol on her and set her on fire. However, while she was on fire she held on to him.

The victim had four children from a previous relationship before meeting her estranged husband.

The couple were together for three years before the wife left.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abimbola Oyeyemi, confirmed the incident in a statement on Sunday.

The statement read, “The suspect was arrested on Saturday after concerned neighbours reported the incident to the police at the Otun-Akute division.

“The estranged husband, Ponle, was reported to have told many people in the area that his wife had no right to live alone and vowed that no other man would be with her after she left him due to physical abuse.

“The couple was married for three years and resided in Otun-Akute, until the woman, Lateefat, decided to leave him when she could no longer cope with the abuse.

“Mr Ponle was said to have gone to the residence of his ex-wife and threatened to kill her if she did not return to his house.

“Their neighbours explained that the man was fond of beating the woman, at times almost to the point of death. Their fights were said to have become a community matter as the woman was hospitalised on many occasions until she decided to pack out of his house a month ago when she rented an apartment on the same street.”

Oyeyemi said the suspect consistently stalked the victim and had threatened to burn her alive last Thursday.

Mr Ponle went back to the victim’s house on Saturday night and met her praying. He poured petrol on her in the room and set her ablaze, but the woman managed to grab him to ensure they burned together until people intervened. They were rushed to a nearby hospital where the woman was confirmed dead,” Oyeyemi added.

The PPRO said the suspect was later handed over to the police.

When the publication contacted the police spokesperson, for an update he said the suspect had also died.

Continue Reading ❯
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.