Naija News understands that Matawalle had visited Aso Villa today to discuss security issues in his state with the President.
According to Matawalle while sharing details of their meeting with state house correspondents, President Buhari has motivated him and assured him that the federal government will take decisive actions to reduce to zero, the activities of criminal elements in the state.
The governor though feared that there is no end in sight for banditry in his state. He, however, boasted that there will be notable changes in the state as regards security, starting from Wednesday, January 19.
He assured residents that his government is doing all it can to fish out those collaborating with bandits in the state.
Matawalle said: “So you see with the kind of people we have in Zamfara state, I don’t think this issue of banditry will end very soon because, already, some people are behind it. Some people are using it.
“And all they need is at least to show Nigerians that both the federal and Zamfara state governments are not serious on the issue of insecurity, despite the fact that some of them are involved in the crisis of this insecurity. But we’re doing our best.
“So, I briefed Mr. President on what happened and the next action that we should take and the government is doing everything possible to make sure that we bring sanity in the state.
“And I assure people that we have all it takes to fight these people and he has motivated me and when we go back on Wednesday, the people will see changes between now and Wednesday because I know what we discussed and I know what is going to happen within this period,” the governor stressed.
Speaking on the recent killings in Zamfara communities, the governor said the death toll is 58, and not 200 as claimed in some quarters.
The Governor confirmed that he visited the scenes of the attacks and got first-hand information from the emirs. He accused “political bandits” of spreading unverified figures.
“I have already cleared the air about the figures because I have seen some reports that 200 people, 300 people, 500 people were killed. But I went to the community by myself with the security agencies,” he said.
Matawalle added: “First, we went to Bungudu and we confirmed from the emir that it was only 36 people that had been killed and two communities were razed by these bandits.
“When we went to Anka, we met the emir and he gave us a list of 22 people that had been killed, making the total number of 58 people killed.
“But as I’ve been saying there are some political bandits who have been spreading lies and rumours so that they can achieve some political gain.”