Connect with us


Nigeria News

Herdsmen Quit Notice: Oyo State Govt Deploys Amotekun To Ibarapa, Oke-Ogun

Published

on

makinde

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde has deployed operatives of the Amotekun security outfit to Ibarapa Local Government Area of the state as part of efforts to curb tension in the area.

The Governor in a statement on Wednesday explained that the move was made after meeting with stakeholders including the newly deployed Police Commissioner in the state, Ngozi Onadeko.

Naija News recalls there had been tension in the Ibarapa and Oke Ogun regions of the state following the accusation by locals that some Fulani herdsmen operating in the area are responsible for cases of kidnappings, killings, rape, and destruction of farmlands by cattle.

This led to a quit notice issued by activist, Sunday Igboho in which he ordered all killer herdsmen to leave the area or be forcefully evicted.

As part of efforts to restore peace and calm to the crisis-torn area, Governor Makinde announced the deployment of 200 Amotekun operatives to the area.

“Following the meeting held with representatives of Igangan, Ibarapaland which was attended by security stakeholders including the recently appointed Commissioner of Police, Oyo State, Mrs. Ngozi Onadeko, our administration has come up with a security strategy for that zone.

“We have resolved to redeploy 200 members of the Oyo State Western Nigeria Security Network codenamed Amotekun to kidnapping/banditry hotspots in the state, especially in the Ibarapa and Oke-Ogun zones.

“These operatives will launch missions to rid the forests of criminals. They will be presenting daily reports of their activities to me in the short run and periodic reports in the long run.

“In the next few weeks, we’ll hold town hall meetings and community outreaches, bringing together residents and security agencies to talk about any issues of immediate concern and how they can be resolved through dialogue and more effective community policing,” Makinde said.

Meanwhile, the presidency has given more details on the sacking of the nation’s service chiefs and the appointment of fresh ones by President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday.

The President’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina noted that Buhari didn’t replace the service chiefs due to pressure from Nigerians but because the time was right.

He noted that the president felt it was time to rejig and inject fresh people into the system, adding that the appointment and firing of service chiefs is an exclusive constitutional preserve of the president which he carries out according to his prerogative.

Adesina said in part on Channels TV: “The President knew the time to do it and I believe the time has come and that is why it has been done.

“I don’t think it is a matter of right or wrong, it is just a matter of doing what is best for the country at the best time.

Passionate writer, content provider, inspired by the opportunity to learn new things.