The People’s Democratic Party’s (PDP) presidential Candidate, Atiku Abubakar, has called on the Federal government to come up with evidence to prove that he was a beneficiary of the N156m slush fund that allegedly wracked the defunct Platinum Habib Bank.
Mr. Phrank Shaibu, the Special Assistant on Public Communication to the Presidential candidate, made this call on Friday in a press statement.
He said, “It is disgusting to continue to spin allegations of corruption against me by people who have failed to come forward with a single shred of evidence of my misconduct while in office.
“They just suddenly woke up to the reality that, their lies about Atiku being corrupt can no longer hold? I challenge the federal government to come up with evidence that I benefitted from N156 million slush funds through Claremont Management Services Account on 13th January, 2009 as well as the collapse of Bank PHB as they have alleged.
“It is instructive to note that the same Bank PHB is now Keystone Bank, which was said to have been acquired by Buhari’s cronies through AMCON last year,” Atiku said in the statement.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed on Friday said the PDP candidate has a case to answer over the collapse of Platinum Habib Bank.
The minister revealed that the case against Atiku Abubakar will commence immediately after his arrival.
Abubakar, who is widely travelled, has not been to the United States in 13 years, a situation which has fueled speculations that the Wazirin Adamawa might be avoiding possible arrest or prosecution.
Naija News reports that Abubakar’s row with the US authorities began after the FBI investigated a bribery scandal involving William Jefferson, former US congressman, in 2004.
The PDP Presidential candidate was accused of demanding a bribe of $500,000 to facilitate the award of contracts to two American telecommunication firms in Nigeria.