Ebola Virus Kill 19 In Congo
The deadly Ebola Virus has again struck 19 dead in DR Congo in just five days, the country’s health ministry has said.
The outbreak, which has ravaged the country since August 1, has now killed 241 people, the ministry said in a statement late Tuesday.
“There have been 241 deaths,” the ministry said in an update correct to November 26, indicating there had been a total of 421 cases — 374 of them confirmed, and another 47 probable.
Another 74 suspected cases are under investigation.
The outbreak is the tenth in DR Congo since Ebola was first detected there in 1976.
The crisis is centred around the restive eastern city of Beni in North Kivu, a region which has been blighted by armed conflict which has hampered efforts to curb the outbreak.
Ebola is a serious infectious disease that can spread rapidly through small amounts of bodily fluid, causing internal bleeding and potentially death.
DR Congo is in the throes of a major campaign ahead of a December 23 election to choose a successor to President Joseph Kabila, who has ruled the vast central African country since 2001.
Copyright Naija News 2018. All rights reserved. You may only share Naija News content using our sharing buttons. Send all news and press releases to [email protected].