Former President Goodluck Jonathan has allegedly purchased the All Progressives Congress (APC) 2023 presidential interest and nomination forms by himself.
A report sighted by Naija News on SaharaReporters alleged how the former leader lobbied with the Jigawa State governor, Mohammed Badaru and gave him N200 million to purchase the nomination and expression of interest forms for him and also buy for himself, to deceive Nigerians.
Despite several denials of his presidential bid in APC by his aides, Naija News observed that Jonathan has severally held closed-door meetings with the party leadership.
The news had broken out a few days ago that a group of Fulani herders purchased APC presidential forms for Jonathan. A development the former leader had publicly disagreed with.
Jonathan, however, puts Nigerians and his supporters in doubt after he was spotted a few moments later with the APC national chairman, Abdullahi Adamu.
Naija News understands that party had scheduled last Sunday for screening of presidential aspirants but announced the postponement of the exercise later.
APC announced that the screening of its presidential aspirants will now hold on May 23.
The party’s National Organising Secretary, Sulaiman Argungu confirmed this in a statement on Saturday.
“The screening for the presidential aspirants, we have so far 28 presidential aspirants.
“As you are all aware, some aspirants have started withdrawing their aspirations. By God’s grace, on the 23rd of this month, those who are left will be screened properly,” he had said.
The move, according to SaharaReporters was to allow former President Goodluck Jonathan and others to submit their nomination forms after the deadline.
It was learnt that the party had also told the screening committee that they were not to screen Presidential aspirants.
A party source who reportedly spoke with SaharaReporters on Monday maintained that the action was taken to favour Jonathan, waiting for him to submit his nomination and expression of interest forms.
“They did that because they want to give room for Goodluck Jonathan and a few others to submit their forms after the deadline,” the source was quoted as saying.
“The party has also told the screening committee that they are not to screen Presidential aspirants,” he added.
Naija News recalls that Jonathan had a few weeks ago asked his supporters to watch out after he was asked if he would contest.