The presidency has declared that it is on top of the situation despite President Muhammadu Buhari yet to personally address Nigerians since the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the country.
Presidential spokesperson, Garba Shehu, made the declaration in response to the recent call by the Senate for President Buhari to address Nigerians.
Naija News recalls the lawmakers had on Wednesday during plenary, called on the President to address the citizens of the country over the outbreak of the coronavirus.
However, Mallam Shehu in a statement on Thursday, described the call by the Senate as “cheap and sensational” politics.
He also urged that nobody should use the situation to score political points.
“Populist advocacies such as the one accusing the President of ‘complacency’ simply because he has not made a television address by ranking members of our respected parliament are cheap and sensational. These are not the times for populism and cheap politics,” Shehu said.
He called on all stakeholders to join hands with the government to battle the disease and minimize its impact on Nigerians.
“North, South, East, and West – all Nigerians must unite to fight this plague, irrespective of religious or ideological affiliation.
“We also plead with Nigerians not to see this most peculiar of times as one to be politicised or seen as an opportunity to regurgitate grudges against the government or the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).”
He also assured that the government is “on top of the situation” and is taking pro-active measures to check the spread of the virus.
“The Presidency wishes to assure Nigerians that government is on top of the situation. There is no cause for panic. So far measures put in place are working efficiently. What this country is doing has been recommended as a template,” he said.
“The President trusts the relevant Ministers in his cabinet and the officials of the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), who are providing him with constant updates and professional counsel. These officials have a track record of competence.
“We do not want to create panic. But we will continue to update the Nigerian public with relevant information. We plead with every Nigerian to cooperate with the government in the fight against Covid-19 and obey all instructions from the NCDC.”
Meanwhile, Naija News reports the number of confirmed cases in Nigeria has risen to 12 after the country recorded four new cases of the coronavirus infection on Thursday.