Connect with us


News

2 Soldiers Missing, One Loses Leg To Boko Haram Attack In Chibok, Borno State

Published

on

Boko Haram terrorists are suspected to have planted improvised explosive devices (IEDs) is some areas in Chibok town of Borno State, a source has claimed.

Some soldiers of the Nigerian Army have unfortunately become victims of the devices as well after their convoy ran into some of the devices planted by suspected Boko Haram insurgents in Korongilum, a community in Chibok local government area of Borno state.

According to reports gathered, the soldiers were deployed to the area on Wednesday morning as a part of a quick response group detailed to combat a Boko Haram attack in the community after the insurgents attacked the community on Tuesday, burning several houses.

Sources quoted by TheCable on Thursday said the troops from the army’s 117 battalion, headquartered in Chibok, were a few kilometres into Korongilum when their gun-trucks and other vehicles in the convoy were blown off the road by the explosive.

“Seven soldiers were badly injured, and the leg of one of them was cut off by the explosion,” a source said.

“The troops were led by an operating officer on the directive of lieutenant colonel SA Yahaya, the commanding officer (CO) who was coordinating from the battalion headquarters.

“The CO may have been the target as one of his vehicle was part of the convoy, but he was not there.”

Another source said: “It appears Boko Haram insurgents have planted IEDs all round the community, and some of the villagers have started packing their belongings for the fear of another attack.”

A resident also added that fresh military reinforcements were yet to arrive after the initial team ran into the bomb ambush. The resident said: “As we speak, there are no troops here. Those who were meant to be here ran into the IED yesterday, and we are yet to see another reinforcement.”

However, when contacted for a reaction, Sagir Musa, army spokesperson, said he couldn’t react as he was not in Maiduguri and had no knowledge of the said attack on soldiers.

“I cannot react because I’m not in Maiduguri. I am not aware,” he said.

Meanwhile, Naija News previously reported that Borno State governor, Babagana Zulum has called for the recruitment of at least 100,000 army combatants, better funding, modern equipment and involvement of locals if Boko Haram insurgency will be wiped out.

Source: Naija News

Content provider, creative writer, inspired by the opportunity to learn new things. You can reach out to me via [email protected]