Connect with us


News

Xenophobia: 3 Feared Dead As South Africans Burn Nigerian Shops, Destroy Properties

Published

on

Nigerians killed in South Africa

Xenophobic Attack Against Nigerians In South Africa

The xenophobic attacks against Nigerians by South Africans took another deadly dimension as properties including cars, shops, and some other valuable items were reported set on fire during a fresh attack.

It is understood that the South Africans allegedly attacked the Nigerian embassy as well.

As a result of the renewed attacks, Naija News gathered some Nigerians and other foreigners have sought refuge in the bushes until the situation calms down.

The Nigerians are said to have been forced to flee their offices, homes and other public places.

Three people were also reportedly killed in the fresh attack on foreigners, including Nigerians living in South Africa.

According to a statement by Adetola Olubajo, president of the Nigeria Union South Africa, the attacks began on Sunday morning in Jeppestown area of Johannesburg. He said the angry mob set a building ablaze in the area.

“The mob also looted several shops that were around the vicinity suspected to be owned by foreign nationals. But the Police later dispersed the mob and made some arrests.’’

“Late in the evening of Sunday, September 1, a group of violent locals suspected to be Zulu hostel dwellers besieged Jules Street in Malvern, Johannesburg looted and burned shops/businesses.’’

According to eye witness reports, the Zulu hostel dwellers carried out a well organised and coordinated looting and burning of any shops/businesses suspected to be owned by foreign nationals.

Over 50 shops were said to have been looted, destroyed and burnt overnight during the attack. overnight Olubajo said according to information gathered by members of NUSA in Malvern area.

“Also, some businesses owned by foreign nationals were looted in Germiston on Sunday evening. A Nigerian-owned Internet Café and computer accessories business was among the looted shops in Germiston,” he said.

“When I got the sad news late yesterday (Sunday) evening, I immediately informed the Police in Jeppestown but lots of damage had been done already.

“The means of livelihood of people were looted and destroyed by fire overnight which has left many Nigerians traumatised.

“Nigerian-owned businesses were seriously affected. A car sales business owned by a Nigerian were among the several businesses set ablaze over the night.

“Although the Police said that many people had been arrested in connection with the unnecessary attacks, the looting and burning of foreign-owned businesses continued till Monday morning.”

He disclosed that properties and businesses belonging to foreign nationals worth millions of Rands had been lost to looting and burning in the past week at different locations in Pretoria and Johannesburg.

Olubajo noted that some of the areas affected by the violent protest march were Rosettenville, Turfontein, Germison, Primrose and Silverton in Pretoria.

“We implore the security operatives to be proactive and not reactive as many long years hard-earned investments have been lost through looting, destruction and burning,” he said.

“Our government officials should also seriously engage their counterparts in South Africa.

“This proactive move will go a long way to prevent further loss of properties and even lives. The situation is tensed and very dangerous for foreign nationals, hence, we implore Nigerians in South Africa, most especially in Gauteng Province to be vigilant and stay safe.”

Naija News reports the recent attacks are coming only a few days after President Muhammadu Buhari met with President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa in Japan as part of efforts to bring an end to the frequent attacks on Nigerians.



Content provider, creative writer, inspired by the opportunity to learn new things.