Connect with us


Gist

Court Fixes New Date For Ruling On No-Case Submission Of Sanda, Alleged Killer Of Husband

Published

on

INEC Speaks On Calling Witnesses Against APC At Tribunal

Prosecutor Of Maryam Sanda Wants Court To Reject The No-Case Submission Filed By Defense Counsel Of The Same.

A High Court in Maitama, Abuja, has fixed April 4 for ruling on the no-case submission filed by Maryam Sanda, who allegedly killed her husband, Bilyaminu Bello.

Naija News recalls that in the last sitting over the case, a witness in the trial Mr. Abdulmumin suddenly left the court without any notification or explanation.

Maryam is facing a two-count charge of alleged to have killed Bello on November 19, 2017, through multiple stabbing and was arraigned alongside three other persons.

Three other persons including Maimuna Aliyu, Maryam’s mother; Aliyu Sanda, her brother; and Sadiya Aminu, her housemaid were charged with conspiracy in the murder case.

They all pleaded not guilty to the charge.

During the resumed sitting, today, counsel to Sanda, Mr. Olusegun Jolaawo, told the court that the prosecution had no case against Sanda to warrant her to enter a defence.

Jolaawo said the evidence brought by the prosecution before the court had been done away with through earlier cross-examination of prosecution witnesses.

He urged the court to discharge his client because she had no case to answer.

Counsel to the second, third and fourth defendants, Mr. Hussein Musa, also urged the court to discharge and acquit the defendants because the prosecution had not adduced enough evidence to warrant them to enter defence.

But the prosecuting counsel, Fidelis Ogbobe, told the court that the prosecution had made enough evidence to warrant the defendants to enter defence.

He said there was enough evidence that linked the first defendant and others to the crime, which they had to answer.

Ogbobe, therefore, urged the court to reject the no-case submission of the defendants and compel them to enter defence.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the prosecution closed its case on January 22 after calling six witnesses.

Source: Naija News

is an opinionated and creative writer, and teacher. You can reach me via [email protected]