Connect with us


NEWS

FG To Begin Trial Of 5,000 Boko Haram Suspects

Published

on

FG To Begin Trial Of 5,000 Boko Haram Suspects

The Federal Government has promised to begin the trial of 5,000 suspected Boko Haram members detained in various prisons across the country.

The Director-General of Legal Aid Council, Aliyu Abubakar, made this known on Wednesday during a courtesy visit to Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State at the Government House, Maiduguri.

Abubakar noted that the council will provide defence lawyers for the suspects, saying that the date for the commencement of the trial would be announced soon.

He revealed that the trial would be conducted by the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation, Office of the National Security Advisers in collaboration with the Theatre Command Operation Lafiya Dole.

FG To Begin Trial Of 5,000 Boko Haram Suspects

Abubakar said the legal aid team has so far interviewed 283 suspects in order to establish their involvement in terrorism and as well understand the nature of the crime they committed.

He disclosed that the suspects are being detained in Giwa Barracks, Maiduguri, Kainji Correctional facilities, and other facilities, over their alleged involvement in the insurgency.

He said: "As their defence counsel, we have to interview them from time to time to enable us know their own part of the story. It so because regardless of the crimes they committed, it is possible that out of hundreds, you may find out that one or two persons are innocent.

"It is necessary for them to be represented by this council to make sure that all the requirements of the law are fulfilled. All evidence must be presented against them before the court of the law so that those found guilty would be prosecuted. In as much as everybody is aware of the nature of the crime they have committed, under our laws, they are innocent until proven guilty."

In his remark, Governor Zulum said his administration is ready to partner with the federal government to enable it to achieve its mandate.

Represented by the Deputy Governor of the state, Umar Usman Kadafur, governor Zulum lauded the council for providing legal support to the people of the state while assuring them of the government's commitment to supporting the council financially.

He also urged the federal government and other stakeholders to adopt a sustainable plan in the Operation Safe Corridor program geared towards the rehabilitation of former insurgents.

Zuoum said the lack of a proper exit sustainability plan in the program has hampered its success.

Source: Naija News

Ige Olugbenga is a fine-grained journalist. He loves the smell of a good lead and has a penchant for finding out something nobody else knows. Gbenga is an alumnus of the prestigious Adekunle Ajasin University, Ondo State and The Polytechnic, Ibadan.