Last month I claimed @NaijaNews twitter account which was previously used someone else. I observe that there are alot of people who like to claim an account for their brand, below is a simple process to follow.
When we launched NaijaNews.com in November, the obvious choice for our twitter name was @NaijaNews, but it was taken by someone else and we had to manage “@NaijaNewsDotCom” which was a little bit long and not as classy as @NaijaNews.
After a few day I discovered we needed @NaijaNews and nothing else because it best represents our brand . So I decided to do something about it and who knows maybe you are in a same position now and could use some insights. Here goes:
- Make sure the account is idle for at least six month.
Check that there are no tweets or have been for a while. Twitter suggests you login at least once in six months. For @NaijaNews the handle was created in 2009 and the ;last tweet was in 2010
- Make sure you have a .com domain or active trademark for that name.
It is a must that you own the .com domain for the twitter name you want to claim. You would have a leverage at claiming the handle if you have an active trademark for the handle name
- Submit an impersonation claim to Twitter.
You can do that here. As this form has lot of different choices, here are the steps to take:
Report an account for impersonation. Fill out the form below to request help.
How can we help?
- An account is pretending to be me or someone I know.
- An account is pretending to be or represent my company, brand, or organization.
- My account was suspended.
- I can’t sign in to my account.
- My account has been hacked or compromised.
- Someone is using my email address without my permission.
Obvously the form is self-explanatory, fill it using an email which has a domain name matching the twitter name you are after.
After you’ve successfully filled the form you should get a follow up email from Twitter asking you to submit some documents which may include a goverment issued ID card or Passport and proof of ownership of the domain, keep replying the domain and within a week the twitter handle should be yours
Follow us on Twitter now: @NaijaNews
Source: Naija News