Some prominent members of the Peoples Democratic Party on Thursday in Abuja formally defected to the Social Democratic Party (SDP) ahead of the 2019 general elections in Nigeria.
Naija News learnt Professor Jerry Gana, Professor Tunde Adeniran, Professor Rufai Alkali, Dr. Mohammed Junaid, Shehu Gabam are part of notable politicians who have dumped the PDP to join forces with the Social Democratic Party.
According to them, their defection is meant to strengthen democracy in Nigeria.
The party structure for the new SDP remains under the leadership of former Secretary to the Federal Government, Chief Olu Falae while other leaders including PDP decampees, were included into the new National Working Committee of the SDP.
The new National Working Committee of the party as announced by former information minister, Prof Jerry Gana, are:
1. National Chairman – Chief Olu Falae
2. Abdul Ahmed Ishaq – Deputy National Chairman
3. Secretary – Shehu Gabam
4. National Vice Chairman – Junaid Mohammed (Northwest)
5. National Vice Chairman – Senator Ebenezer Ikenna (Southeast)
6. National Vice Chairman – Supo Shonibare (Southwest)
7. National Vice Chairman – Senator E. D. Henshaw (South-South)
8. National Vice Chairman (North-central) Not Present
9. National Vice Chairman (North-east) Not Present
10. National Legal Adviser – Barr. Joseph Abu
11. National Treasurer – Barr. Emeka Atuma
12. Deputy Publicity Secretary 1 – Alfa Mohammed
13. Deputy Publicity Secretary Team 2 – Adakole Ijoge
14. National Financial Secretary – Kehinde Ayoola
15. National Women Leader – Mariam Batubo
16. National Youth Leader – Stanley Nwaka
Recall Naija News had earlier reported some aggrieved members of the PDP had concluded plans to join the SDP over the fallout of the 2017 PDP national convention.