Table of Content
- Diversity Policy
- Editorial standards and ethics
- Hate speech and bullying
- Safety and inappropriate content
- Verification / Fact Checking Policy
- Unnamed Sources Policy
- Corrections policy
- Actionable Feedback Policy
Naija News is a native digital newspaper platform published by Polance Media Limited (RC1513324).
We are an independent news organization focused on serving the Nigerian audience and the world at large with verified and undiluted news reports.
We produce content of the highest quality is the basis for winning the trust of our readers and the public at large. All of us at Naija News – the company as well as every individual – defend the practice and promotion of the principles of journalistic integrity.
NaijaNews.com News Editorial standards and ethics
- Naija News’ ethical code is based on the willingness of it being accurate, fair and complete, and for its contributors to act with honesty, transparency, and independence, including independence from conflicts of interest.
- Truth and Accuracy
Our reporters are expected to be as accurate as possible. Getting facts from verifiable sources is the cardinal principle of journalism. Naija News always strives for accuracy, provides all the relevant facts available, and ensures that they have been verified. Naija News makes it clear when it cannot corroborate certain information.
Our reporters must be independent voices; Naija News does not act, formally or informally, on behalf of special interests, whether political, corporate, or cultural. Independent fact-checking by other employees or actors is always involved in the publication process.
- Fairness and Impartiality
Most stories have at least two sides. While there is no obligation to present every side in every piece, stories are balanced and add context. Impartial reporting builds trust and confidence.
Our reporters do not harm. What Naija News publishes or broadcasts may be offensive to some, but it is aware of the impact of its words and images on the lives of others. Private persons have privacy rights that must be balanced against the public interest in reporting information about them.
A sure sign of professionalism and responsible journalism is the ability to hold oneself accountable. Corrections are published when errors are discovered. Naija News listens to the concerns of its audience.
Hate speech and bullying
- NaijaNews.com News content must not incite hatred and/or discriminate against people on the basis of their race, ethnic origin, religion, disability, age, nationality, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, etc.
- Our content must not harass, intimidate or bully a person.
Safety and inappropriate content
- NaijaNews.com News will not post articles that threaten or advocate for harm to oneself or others.
- NaijaNews.com News will not post content that contains graphic sexual text, image, audio, videos, or games.
- We will not publish articles that contain non-consensual sexual themes or promote a sexual act in exchange for compensation.
- We will not publish any content containing child sexual abuse.
- NaijaNews.com News commits to not posting any adult themes within family content.
- We will not post any articles containing malicious or unwanted software.
- NaijaNews.com News will not post any content that promotes illegal activity, or infringes on the legal rights of others.
Our reporters are forbidden to publish any advertising content or pre-written material. Each article is scanned by automated, anti-plagiarism technology. As a result, Blasting News will not publish content copied from other sites, content that violates copyright and trademark rights, or content that has a purely promotional objective. Our reporters that violate this rule will be penalised. We strongly reject “churnalism.”
Verification / Fact Checking Policy
Under Naija News’ policies and guidelines, material from anonymous sources may be used only if:
- The material is information, and not opinion or speculation, and is vital to the news report.
- The information is not available except under the conditions of anonymity imposed by the source.
- The source is reliable, and in a position to have accurate information.
Naija News strictly follows two statements contained in The SPJ Code of Ethics on anonymous sources:
- Identify sources whenever feasible. The public is entitled to as much information as possible on sources’ reliability.
- Always question sources’ motives before promising anonymity. Clarify conditions attached to any promise made in exchange for information. Keep promises.
Reporters can not take information from anonymous sources without the approval of a Naija News editorial team. We use information from anonymous sources to tell important stories that would otherwise go unreported.
Unnamed Sources Policy
- Where possible, NaijaNews.com News will always include the name of sources for the information we publish.
- NaijaNews.com News will provide attribution through names, links, and other means to inform the reader about the source of information used in an article.
- While NaijaNews.com News prefers not to use confidential sources, we may still use them where the information is deemed credible, important to the readers and where it may negatively impact the livelihood of the source.
- Editors will protect the identity of confidential sources.
- Editors will also adhere to the law related to the legal rights of the editor (reporter) and the confidential source.
- Where exclusive news has been aggregated, a link to the primary source of information will be placed in the article.
Naija News believes in transparency and honesty. Therefore, Naija News will correct mistakes promptly. Fullness and freshness of information represent two inescapable values in the online journalism world, and Naija News believes that accuracy is equally essential; we ensure expediency in making corrections when needed.
Naija News is dedicated to informing its readers when it has made a mistake (however big or small), conveying the error’s severity, and providing the correct information as soon as the mistake is brought to attention.
When an error is detected within an article, Naija News immediately works to find the correct information and clearly display the corrections wherever possible within the article. The corrections will include:
- The correct information.
- What was originally published that was incorrect.
- The date (and time, if available) when the change took place.
- The process to report errors from within articles is made easy to understand, by providing an email address and form to contact us at the beginning of each article.
Actionable Feedback Policy
NaijaNews.com News is committed to engaging with our readers and taking action based on their suggestions, complaints, and other feedback.
If you have a suggestion, criticism, complaint or compliment, you can contact NaijaNews.com News at [email protected] and we will get back to you as soon as possible.