A retired Foreign Service officer, Ahmed Rufai Abubakar, was on Wednesday, January 10, appointed as the substantive Director General of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) by President Muhammadu Buhari.
Abubakar would be taking over from the past NIA boss, Ayo Oke.
Here are five things to know about the new NIA Chief.
- Prior to Abubakar’s appointment as the new NIA DG, he was the Senior Special Assistant on Foreign Affairs/International Relations.
- Abubakar also for a short while served as senior adviser at the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), with headquarters in Ndjamena, Chad, prior to his last appointment.
- Abubakar has a B.A degree in French Language and Literature, and M.A degree in Francophone Maghrebian Literature, both from Bayero University, Kano.
- Abubakar has a vast experience working with the United Nations in peace support operations, mediation process, preventive diplomacy and good offices, including the the upholding of good governance and respect for the rule of law and human rights.
- He is speaks English and Arabic fluently.