The organised labour, Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) on Monday night announced that it has suspended the indefinite strike.
Recall that the unions had directed its affiliate member unions across the country to mobilise and shut down the country following the refusal of the government to adhere to its demands.
The Federal Government, however, in a move to avert the planned strike scheduled for October 3, 2023, invited the organised labour to a meeting at the Chief of Staff Conference Room, Presidential Villa, Abuja on Monday.
Members of the organized labour team who attended the meeting were the NLC President, Joe Ajaero, his TUC counterpart, Festus Osifo, the NLC General Secretary, Emma Ugbaja, the TUC Secretary General, Nuhu Toro among others.
On the government team are the National Security Adviser, NSA, Nuhu Ribadu, the Minister of Finance, Wale Edun, Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, and the Minister of State for Labour, Nkeiruka Onyejecha.
The organised labour in a statement released after the meeting announced that the strike had been suspended for 30 days.
The Minister of Labour and Employment, Simon Lalong while announcing the outcome of the meeting to State House correspondents said, “The NLC and TUC accept to suspend for 30 days the planned indefinite nationwide strike scheduled to begin, Tuesday, the 3rd of October, 2023.”
Lalong said the Memorandum shall be filed with the relevant court of competent jurisdiction within one week as consent judgment by the FG.
However, the NLC President, Joe Ajaero, said the unions would revisit the agreement if the FG fails to fulfil its demands.