Transfer: Barca Make Contact With Lionel Messi, Vice President Says
FC Barcelona are reportedly in contact to bring back the club’s greatest player, Lionel Messi, amidst the club’s financial crisis.
FC Barcelona are still battling to balance their books and they are currently in court trying to clear their name over an allegation that they bribed referees during Lionel Messi’s era at the club.
Recall that Lionel Messi is a product of the club’s football academy. He started his senior football career at the club as a teenager and went on to become the club’s greatest player.
Messi won his record 6 Ballon d’Or at Barca and also left the side as the club’s all-time top scorer with 672 goals in 778 games. He helped the club to win four Champions Leagues and 10 La Liga titles.
Despite his incomparable stats and achievements at the club, Messi left the club in tears when the Spanish giants couldn’t renew his contract in 2021 due to financial complications.
The 35-year-old Argentine football icon who helped his country to win the FIFA World Cup in Qatar last year, went on to sign a mega deal with French side Paris Saint Germain. The deal which has an option for a year extension will expire this summer.
Initially, there were reports that PSG were trying to extend the deal but recent reports claimed that the French side are considering allowing Messi to exit the club once the contract expires to free up over €700,000-per-week wage bill.
Amidst that, FC Barcelona’s vice-president Rafael Yuste who was at the club when Messi left in 2021 was quoted as saying on Friday that FC Barcelona have made contact with the reigning world champion.
He said, “I participated in the negotiations (in 2021) which unfortunately did not lead to a certain result.
“I’ve always had this thorn in my side that Leo couldn’t continue at our club.
“Messi knows how much we appreciate him. I would love for him to come back. We’re in contact, of course, with them.”