Anthony Joshua Challenges Fury To Fight Him In 2023
Nigerian-born British boxer, Anthony Joshua has challenged Tyson Fury to “rescue himself” by accepting to fight him this year.
Anthony Joshua who has a comeback bout against American boxer, Jermaine Franklin on Saturday, April 1, stated this while commenting on Fury’s failed heavyweight unification match.
Naija News recalls that the negotiations between Fury and the current WBO, WBA, and IBF champion from Ukraine, Oleksandr Usyk collapsed last week after a series of hype.
Hence, 33-year-old Anthony Joshua who has lost prominence in the heavyweight category after losing to Usyk back to back in 2022 won’t mind taking Usyk’s spot against Fury this summer.
Ahead of his first bout in 2023, Joshua said he wants an all-British fight with Fury later this year, no matter the outcome of the bout against Franklin this weekend.
He said, “There’s no better time to get Fury in the ring than now because he needs me to redeem himself from this circus. This let down.
“He needs me so there’s no better time than for him to call my name out and I’m someone that will take on any challenge.”
On the failed negotiations between Fury and Usyk, Anthony Joshua added, “It’s not my position to slate or slag anyone off. I’m pretty sure that fight [Fury v Usyk] will happen because I feel like there could potentially be a method to the madness.”
“If, number one, I was in that position [and] didn’t take that fight, how would people treat me?
“And number two, if I didn’t take that fight what would Fury have to say about me? So I’m not going to stoop to that level.
“I respect everyone that steps into the ring. But I just sometimes think some people should watch their mouths a bit.”