The Nigerian Army has said that no fewer than 204 Boko Haram terrorists and their family members have surrendered themselves to troops in the North-Eastern part of the country.
The figure was made public on Wednesday, June 15 when the army headquarters gave an update on its latest operations via its official Twitter page, Naija News understands.
The terrorists according to the army surrendered themselves to troops deployed to deal with security issues in the Bama Local Government Area of Borno State.
The Army boasted that an onslaught targeting Boko Haram fighters has continued to record significant success.
The tweet reads, “The ongoing offensive onslaught against terrorism in the North East recorded another feat today, 15 June 2022 as 204 Boko Haram fighters including their family members surrendered to troops in Bama LGA of Borno State.
“Profiling of the surrendered terrorists is ongoing.”
Naija News understands that the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) had announced earlier in the year that a total of 47,975 terrorists and their families had so far ‘surrendered’ to troops of Operation Hadin Kai in the Northeast from September 2021 till then.
The army further claimed that it has neutralized at least 17 top terror commanders and 35 armed bandits even as naval troops of Operation Delta Safe, operating in the Niger Delta region, discovered and deactivated 49 illegal refineries and arrested 22 vessels involved in illegal fishing.
The statistics Naija News understands were affirmed to newsmen in Abuja by the Director, Defence Media Operations (DDMO), Maj. Gen. Bernard Onyeuko.
The top officer while giving an update on military operations between March 10 and March 24, said 7,000 fighters of Boko Haram and the Islamic State for West African Province (ISWAP) surrendered to troops with members of their families bringing the number of insurgents, who had laid down their arms to 47,975.