Human rights lawyer, Mr Femi Falana (SAN) has stated that former President Goodluck Jonathan is not constitutionally qualified to contest for presidency in 2023.
Recall that Jonathan was elected President of Nigeria in the 2011 election after completing the tenure of former President Umaru Musa Yar’adua.
The Bayelsa born politician lost the 2015 presidential election to lost Muhammadu Buhari.
Reports had emerged that Jonathan was planning on dumping the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) to contest the 2023 election.
Some supporters of the former president President had last week stormed his Abuja office, urging the former Bayelsa Governor to join the presidential race.
But in a statement on Wednesday, Femi Falana stated that Jonathan cannot contest the 2023 presidential election by 137 (3) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended).
Falana said: “It has been confirmed that former President Goodluck Jonathan has decided to join the All Progressives Congress, APC, to contest the 2023 presidential election.
“However, the former President is disqualified from contesting the said election by 137 (3) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 as amended which provides as follows: ‘A person who was sworn in to complete the term for which another person was elected as President shall not be elected to such office for more than a single term.'”