The Federal Government has said preliminary reports have shown that dislodged Boko Haram terrorists and bandits were behind the attack on the Abuja-Kaduna train on March 28, 2022.
On Wednesday, the Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, said the two criminal groups collaborated to carry out the terror attack on the passenger train.
He made these known while addressing State House reporters alongside the Minister of Defence, Major General Bashir Salihi Magashi (rtd) after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Mohammed stated that the Federal Government was already tackling the activities of terrorists in the North West and also investigating the terror attack.
The minister had earlier interrupted Magashi when asked to provide information on the perpetrators of the train attack.
He said: “What is happening now is that there is a kind of an unholy handshake between bandits and Boko Haram insurgents.
“Preliminary reports of what transpired during the Kaduna train attacks show that there is a kind of collaboration between the bandits and the dislodged Boko Haram terrorists from the northeast. I can tell you very confidently that the Federal Government is on the top of this matter.”
Mohammed stated the government is working really hard to rescue the kidnapped victims and unravel the mystery surrounding the train attack.
He said, “I think the Honorable Minister of Defense has already addressed the issues. One, that what the federal government is doing won’t be subject matter of a press conference, because we have lives at stake.
“And that the various arms of security are working night and day to unravel the mystery surrounding the kidnap the attack as a whole, the kidnap people. What I can assure you is that you get the respective arms of government actually engaged as we speak, in getting those, you know, victims released. It’s natural for anybody who is a father or a mother of a kidnap person to be worried and to be concerned.
“But at the level of government, we appreciate that and we are leaving no stone unturned, but we’ll give you specific steps we’re taking I think it will be counterproductive and not going to aid or help those who are kidnapped or help you know, the security forces who are tracing and ensuring that there’ll be no repeat of such attacks.”
Earlier in his response, Magashi said the federal government does not know the group behind the train attack, addding that the security chiefs are working hard to unveil the perpetrators.
He said: “Honestly, I think the security chiefs are working hard to unveil those that are involved, and we will tell you very soon those that are carrying out these attacks. Both Jos and Kaduna, we will come and explain to the public what is really going on and our efforts to ensure that all these activities are stopped once and for all. We are rarely on top of the situation, we are planning hard and we will get it out as soon as possible.”