Connect with us

Advertisement

Nigeria News

Chief Of Defence Staff Reveals Number Of Persons Killed, Injured In Abuja-Kaduna Train Attack

 

Nothing Will Hinder 2023 Elections - Defence Chief, Irabor Boasts

The Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor on Tuesday revealed that seven persons were killed and 29 others were injured during Monday’s attack on the Abuja-Kaduna train by bandit terrorists.

The Chief of Defence Staff was however unable to confirm the exact number of persons kidnapped by the terrorists.

Irabor made the disclosure on Tuesday at the State House while speaking with newsmen shortly after a security meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari on the incident.

He confirmed that the security chiefs have visited the site earlier on Tuesday to assess the real situation of things before briefing the President in Abuja.

“We have come to brief the president regarding the unfortunate incident of yesterday, when some criminals, bandits laid improvised explosive devices on the rail tracks and a passenger train was demobilised,” he said,

“Seven Nigerians were killed, 29 others wounded, and some were kidnapped, and we are yet to establish the exact number.

“We went to the scene this morning, inspected the entire area and gave out instructions on what is to be done and we have come to brief the president on this development.”

Naija News recalls bandits on Monday night, attacked a train travelling from Abuja to Kaduna with about 1,000 people on board.

The train which took off around 6 pm from the Idu train station at the Federal Capital Territory in Abuja on Monday hit an explosive device about 30 minutes to Rigasa train station in Kaduna.

Irabor promised that all those responsible for the dastardly attack would be arrested by security agents and brought to justice.

He added that security would be strengthened generally across the nation to keep citizens and property safe.

“The challenge of insecurity is a constant one and so the defence and security agencies need to be on their toes 24/7. This is unfortunate and we believe that the lessons out of this are what we need to build upon going forward,” he said,

“I can perhaps use this opportunity and reassure the nation that based on the president’s directive, we will take every necessary action, not just to apprehend those behind this dastardly act, but for them to also face justice.

“Going forward, certainly, there will be greater security for the nation and I will like to urge everybody to go about their normal duties.”

Passionate writer, content provider, inspired by the opportunity to learn new things.