Good morning Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top newspapers headlines in Nigeria for today, Friday, 11th February 2022
President Muhammadu Buhari has warned foreigners and diplomats representing their countries in Nigeria to stay away from any form of interference in the nation’s 2023 general elections.
The President who spoke on Thursday urged them to focus on their diplomatic duties and responsibilities while allowing local politics to go ahead.
Buhari was quoted in a statement by his spokesperson, Femi Adesina to have said this at the State House in Abuja when he received letters of credence Ambassadors of Czech Republic, Zdenek Krejci; Italy, Stephano De Leo; Spain, Juan Sanz, and Israel, Michael Freeman.
According to him, the diplomats should be guided by the provisions of diplomatic engagement and face their duties squarely by avoiding political distractions.
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Thursday announced that it will stop selling forex to Deposit Money Banks (DMBs) by the end of 2022.
Naija News reports that this was made known by the CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele.
He stated this in Abuja at the end of the Bankers’ Committee Meeting where he also introduced the RT200 Programme.
According to the Apex bank governor, banks need to go out and source for forex by funding entrepreneurs with ideas.
Emefiele said the CBN will support the banks by granting rebates and other support until the banks find their feet in sourcing their forex by themselves.
He said the CBN’s policies and measures have led to a significant improvement in diaspora inflow from an average of US$6 million per week in December 2020 to an average of over US$100 million per week by January 2022.
According to him, the CBN would review these intervention programmes going forward to ensure that they continue to achieve the desired results.
Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State has disclosed that the activities of Boko Haram terrorists will be curtailed before 2023.
The Borno governor stated that President Muhammadu Buhari has promised to end insurgency before the expiration of his tenure next year.
He made this known on Wednesday in a chat with State House Correspondents after a meeting with President Buhari at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.
The Governor also disclosed that no fewer than 30,000 repentant terrorists from the Boko Haram and Islamic State’s West African Province (ISWAP) groups have surrendered to the government so far.
He however clarified that the Borno Government does not offer any incentive to the terrorists to come out of the forests, stating that they surrendered on their own.
Zulum disclosed that he discussed the continuing surrender of the insurgents and the case of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) with the President.
President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered that producers and providers of consumable products be held accountable for substandard services and or products sold by them.
Naija News earlier reported that the Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Company Limited (NNPC), Mele Kyari, had disclosed that four companies were responsible for the importation of adulterated fuel into the country, which had led to a scarcity of the product in the country.
Reacting in a statement on Thursday through his media assistant, Garba Shehu, Buhari directed relevant government agencies to take every step in line with the laws of the country to ensure the respect and protection of consumers against market abuses and social injustices.
In a reaction to the issue of petroleum product shortages linked to the inadvertent supply of products of foreign origin into the Nigerian market, Buhari said the protection of consumer interests is a priority of the present administration and is ready to take all necessary measures to protect consumers from hazardous products, loss or injuries from the consumption of substandard goods.
The Nigerian Military on Thursday revealed that troops as part of ongoing clearance operations have killed 120 fighters loyal to the Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorist groups.
This was disclosed by the Defence Head Quarters (DHQ) during a briefing by Major General Benard Onyeuko, Director Defence Media Operations.
According to the DHQ, within the period under review (20 January -10 February 22), troops deployed under the various operations neutralized 120 fighters, arrested 50 terrorists, recovered 5 gun trucks, 50 assorted arms, and seized 200 ammunition.
Within the same period, 25 citizens were rescued while 965 terrorists, families, and 550 children surrendered to the troops.
He gave updates about the activities of troops deployed under OPERATION HADIN KAI, OPERATION HADARIN DAJI, OPERATION SAFE HAVEN, OPERATION WHIRL STROKE, and OPERATION DELTA SAFE.
Former militant leader, Asari Dokubo has accused former President Olusegun Obasanjo of supporting the embattled leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu.
Dokubo who spoke on Facebook live video on Wednesday, February 9, alleged that Obasanjo is encouraging IPOB to kill people in the Southeastern region of the country.
The ex-leader said Southwest leaders couldn’t use Sunday Igboho to cause cause ‘war’ in the region but are showing support for Kanu to destroy Southeast.
Security operatives of the Nigeria Police Force have been killed by unknown gunmen in Enugu State.
According to reports, the incident which led to the death of the security operatives happened in the Maryland area, around the Lomalinda Estate.
As of the time of filing this report, the actual number of casualties has not been clearly stated but sources are putting the figure at three and four.
A source that spoke with Daily Post on the development disclosed that gunmen abducted a man around Treasure Point, along Ugwuaji Road before engaging the police in a shootout.
The attack was confirmed by the spokesperson of the Enugu State Police command, Daniel Ndukwe.
The House of Representatives has vowed to investigate the importation of adulterated fuel into the country and punish culprits found guilty.
Naija News earlier reported that the Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Company Limited (NNPC), Mele Kyari, had disclosed that four companies were responsible for the importation of adulterated fuel into the country.
Speaking on Wednesday during a media briefing at the NNPC Headquarters in Abuja, Kyari said MRS, Emadeb/Hyde/AY Maikifi/Brittania-U Consortium, Oando and Duke Oil brought the substandard fuel into Nigeria.
During plenary on Thursday, House Chief Whip, Hon. Mohammed Mongunu raised a motion regarding the importation of the substandard fuel into the country.
In his motion, Monguno said the adulterated product has caused havoc to vehicles and other machines owned by Nigerians and has also affected the economy in a way.
In its resolution, the House directed the NNPC to immediately suspend the four companies said to be involved in the purchasing and supplying of the bad fuel.
The Green Chamber also mandated its Committee on Petroleum (Downstream) to confirm the details of purchases of petroleum products made from January to date to know whether they met with the international standards.
Also, the lower chamber asked the committee to probe the roles played by the NNPC, Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON), Navy and all other regulatory agencies in the petroleum sector in the importation of the bad fuel.
Benue Governor, Samuel Ortom has disclosed that he is not afraid of dying for the people of the state, adding that he has already prepared his will.
Governor Ortom expressed confidence that his family will not fight over his properties if he is eventually assassinated by bandits ravaging his state.
Ortom, a staunch critic of President Muhamadu Buhari, stated that the high rate of insecurity in the country is worrisome and needs urgent attention before the 2023 general elections.
He made the submission on Wednesday when he received a delegation of the Administrative Staff College of Nigeria (ASCON) at Government House in Makurdi.
The Benue governor berated some politicians and elder statesmen for keeping mute regarding the security challenges facing the country.
Super Eagles of Nigeria have been ranked third in Africa and 32nd in the world in the latest FIFA Ranking released by the World Football Governing Body on Thursday.
Naija News reports that Nigeria came third in Africa behind Morocco and the winner of the recently concluded African Cup of Nations (AFCON), Senegal, rising four places in the World ranking.
The top 10 best teams in Africa are Senegal, Morocco, Nigeria, Egypt, Tunisia, Cameroon, Algeria, Mali and Ivory Coast in the same order.
While the top 10 best teams in the World include Belgium, Brazil, France, Argentina, England, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Netherlands.
In a statement on its website, FIFA said the new ranking method named “SUM” relies on adding/subtracting points won or lost for a game to/from the previous point totals rather than averaging game points over a given time period as in the previous version of the World Ranking.