Aston Villa head coach Steven Gerrard has tested positive for COVID-19 and will miss the club’s next two Premier League games.
In a statement on its website on Saturday, the club said Gerrard will be in isolation after testing positive for the dreaded disease.
The club added that the former Liverpool captain will miss the Boxing Day clash at home to Chelsea and Tuesday’s trip to Leeds.
The statement reads: “Aston Villa can confirm head coach Steven Gerrard will be unable to attend our next two Premier League matches with Chelsea and Leeds United as he will be isolating after testing positive for Covid-19.”
Villa’s meeting with Burnley last weekend was postponed due to an increased number of positive coronavirus tests among the squad.
Meanwhile, clubs have been told they must provide the following information when applying for a game to be postponed:
- Details of players and staff who have Covid, their vaccination status and – if known – the source of their infections
- Players and staff are unavailable through injury and illness
- Players on the squad list who are still available, including ‘appropriately experienced’ U21 players
- Medical information to verify the status of each unavailable player, which will be reviewed by the Premier League’s medical advisers
The Premier League will then consider the following factors when deciding whether to grant the request:
- Impact of Covid infections, injuries, illness and isolation on the squad, plus the number of first-team and ‘appropriately experienced’ U21 players available
- Matches will be postponed if a club does not have at least 13 outfield players and a goalkeeper available
- Status of any Covid outbreak at the club, including the number and source infections, and the proximity to the match
- Club’s ability to safely prepare its players
- Medical advice over whether there is an unacceptable risk to the health and safety of players and staff by playing the match
- Advice from UK Health Securities Agency and other public bodies
- Other exceptional circumstances
Download NAIJA NEWS app: