Connect with us


Nigeria News

‘This Tragedy Is Horrific’ – Fashola Speaks On Lagos Building Collapse

Published

on

‘This Tragedy Is Horrific’ – Fashola Speaks On Lagos Building Collapse

The Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, has expressed sadness over the death of 39 people in the building collapse in Ikoyi.

Speaking to reporters in Abuja on Thursday, the minister described the incident as a “horrific tragedy” which should have been completely avoided.

Fashola, a former Lagos state governor, commiserated with the families of those who have lost their loved ones in the sad incident and wished survivors a speedy recovery.

It’s a very horrific tragedy and my sympathy goes to all of the victims and their families and my best wishes to survivors and I hope that they have the fullest recovery,” he said.

The minister added that the challenge of building collapse in the country needs to be solved in order to avoid future occurrences.

Fashola stated while he was the governor, his team had made efforts to put certain measures in place in case of incidents such as this.

He said: “I was very involved with my team in enacting the Physical and Urban Planning Law. One of the things we sought to do was to separate Planning Permit Issuance from building control.

“We also made very stringent regulations that if buildings collapse under construction, we would have the power as government to forfeit those buildings as a deterrent.

“We introduced insurance during and after construction as a measure of ensuring safeguards. All the processes are there but are the actors willing to do what is necessary?.”

Meanwhile, the owner of the 21-storey building which collapsed in Ikoyi, Lagos State, Femi Osibona has been confirmed dead.

Naija News learnt that Osibona who was the Managing Director of Fourscore Homes Limited was trapped inside the 21-storey building under construction alongside one of his friends, Bob Oseni.

The National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA confirmed the development to newsmen on Thursday evening after the rescue team had reportedly discovered Osibona’s body.

Though there were controversies over the numbers of casualties recorded at the site, authorities have confirmed that 39 bodies have been so far recovered from the rubble.

Ige Olugbenga is a fine-grained journalist. He loves the smell of a good lead and has a penchant for finding out something nobody else knows.