The Defence Headquarters has claimed that over 40 bandit terrorists have been killed by the military in the North West region of the country.
The revelation was made by the acting Director, Defence Media Operations, Brig.-Gen. Bernard Onyeuko, during a press briefing in Abuja on Thursday.
Onyeuko disclosed that the bandits were gunned down by Nigerian soldiers during various military operations in forests within Sokoto and Kaduna States.
Giving updates on the operation of the Nigerian troops between October 1 and October 13, Onyeuko noted that several structures which served as bandits’ hideouts were also destroyed.
The DHQ spokesman added that multiple airstrikes were executed on bandits’ enclaves in different locations with the use of Nigeria Air Force jets.
He revealed that the success of the airstrikes was confirmed by battle damage assessment carried out on these locations.
Earlier, Onyeuko had confirmed that no fewer than 13,243 Boko Haram terrorists including their families have so far surrendered to troops in the Northeastern part of the country.
The DHQ spokesman said the surrendered terrorists comprise 3,243 males, 3,868 females and 6,234 children.
Onyeuko said the troops of Operation Hadin Kai had sustained aggressive posture with vigour in the North East, which had yielded significant results in the last two weeks.
He disclosed that some of these feats were recorded at Gwoza – Yamtake – Bita road, Gwoza – Farm Centre – Yamtake road, Mandara Mountain area as well as Pulka and Hambagda towns, all in Borno State.
Onyeuko explained further that the series of land and air operations conducted in different locations across the North East theatre had reduced the operational capabilities of the insurgents with several of them being neutralised.
The DHQ spokesman noted that several others were arrested alongside their informants and logistics suppliers, while more terrorists had continued to lay down their arms and surrender to the troops with their families.