Good morning Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top newspapers headlines in Nigeria for today, Tuesday, 21st September 2021
Former Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi has accused President Muhammadu Buhari of sending the wrong signals with the constant photoshoot with politicians who defect to the All Progressives Congress (APC).
Obi said such photoshoots have done nothing to boost the image of the country or to encourage those that have been patriotic and flying the nation’s flag high with credible achievements.
He added that the international community will be getting the wrong picture about our national values if the President continues to take such pictures with politicians.
Describing the defecting politicians as heartless and valueless, Obi said instead of promoting such behaviours, the President should use his good office to identify with Nigerians that are making an impact, noting that such pictures can then serve as further motivation for such people or for those looking up to such achievements.
The former Governor made his mind known during a chat with Arise TV on Monday.
In his view, constantly taking pictures with defecting politicians “is sending the wrong signal that you can be anything and be elevated into something.”
Sokoto State Governor, Aminu Tambuwal has announced the shutdown of telecommunication network services in the state as part of efforts to combat insecurity.
It is understood that the extreme measure affects 14 out of the 23 local government areas in the state which are the most affected by the attacks.
Naija News reports with the development, Sokoto becomes the third state in Nigeria to take such action after Zamfara and Katsina in order to curb the activities of bandits, kidnappers, terrorists, and other criminals in the area.
The shutdown in Sokoto was confirmed on Monday by the Governor with the Voice of America Hausa Service.
Tambuwal disclosed that approval for the action was taken from the federal government through the Minister of Communication and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami.
The Federal Ministry of Education has assured that candidates who missed the 2021 West Africa Senior School Certificate Examinations (WASSCE) in the South-East will be afforded another opportunity to write the examination.
Naija News reports that there has been compliance with sit-at-home order in parts of the South-East even when the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), who started the stay-at-home idea, rescinded the order.
Lawmakers from the zone recently decried the incident at Comprehensive Secondary School, Nkume, Njaba Local Government Area of Imo State, where the English examination organised by the West Africa Examination Council, WAEC, on Monday was ruthlessly scuttled by armed men, who chased away the students, teachers, and examiners before setting ablaze motorcycles belonging to the teachers.
While monitoring some examination centres in Abuja on Monday, the Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Education, Mr. Sonny Echono frowned at the disruption of examination centres in the South-East, particularly the incident of September 13, 2021.
He however assured that the ministry will put modalities in place to ensure that the candidates who missed the examination in the South East are given other opportunities to write the examination.
Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has signed into law, the state anti-open grazing bill which prohibits the open grazing of animals in the state.
The bill was signed into law on Monday, 20th September, 2021 during the State Executive Council meeting.
In signing the bill, Sanwo-Olu who ordered security agents to begin immediate enforcement said: “By the powers vested in me as the Governor of Lagos State, I am signing the bill on Open Cattle Grazing and Trespass of Cattle on Land into law to prohibit issues associated with open grazing of livestock.”
It will be recalled that the state House of Assembly had earlier considered and passed the bill before transmitting it to the Governor for his assent.
With the signing, Lagos has now joined the list of southern states that have banned open grazing of animals.
Prominent Ijaw leader and elder statesman, Chief Edwin Clark has urged the federal government to have a rethink about its plans to site a Naval base in Kano State.
Clark in an open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari viewed the plan as a wrong investment of scarce resources and called on the government to have a rethink.
In his argument, the elder statesman said a naval base in a desert seems like ‘mission impossible’ and misplaced priority.
Despite the explanations by the Nigerian Navy on why a base can be sited in Kano and not necessarily in waterine areas, the plan has continued to generate heated controversies among stakeholders and observers.
President Muhammadu Buhari has directed the National Population Commission (NPC) to proceed with preparation to conduct another census in May, next year.
The sum of two hundred billion has been reportedly projected for the conduction of the population census in 2022.
The said fund projected for the exercise is expected to be included in the 2022 budget, Naija News understands.
It could be recalled that the House of Representatives in May this year, admonished President Buhari to suspend the planned 2021 census until the security challenges in the country subside.
The resolution of the House was passed following a motion moved by a member representing Bosso/Paikoro Federal Constituency of Niger State, Shehu Beji.
However, a top source in the Presidency on Monday, said President Buhari is prepared to conduct another census after fifteen years.
The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, has said the ongoing strike embarked on by the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) will cause more damage to the country’s health sector.
In an interview on Channels Television on Sunday, Ngige appealed to the striking doctors to suspend their industrial action and resume negotiations with the Federal Government.
As the resident doctors’ strike enters Day 59, the minister said he had always advocated for settlement in order to resolve the impasse amicably.
He, however, advised the Health Ministry and Attorney General’s office as well as the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) and NARD to approach the Labour Ministry to press their demands.
Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodinma has been labelled as a traitor working against the common interest of the Ndigbo in Nigeria.
The apex Igbo socio-cultural organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo made the allegation in a statement on Monday where it accused the Imo Governor of dancing to the tune of his political masters who have probably hypnotized him.
It warned the governor to be careful so as not to become a ‘use-and-dump’ person in the hands of his political masters.
The Ohanaeze in its statement by its Secretary-General, Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro said Uzodinma was working against the 2023 Igbo presidency plans because he has his eyes set on the position for 2027 when he would no longer be a governor.
The group however cautioned that he won’t clinch the position and would also suffer the consequence of working against his own people.
The Ohanaeze group made the submission while reacting to a statement reportedly credited to Governor Uzodinma in which he said Igbos should forget about the 2023 presidency as it was not in the interest of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to give the zone its ticket.
The Nigerian Army has disclosed that some Boko Haram terrorist who has been dropping arms and surrendering to the military do not understand why they are doing so.
The Theatre Commander, Joint Task Force (North-East) Operation Hadin Kai, Maj. Gen. Christopher Musa, while speaking on the issue said, “Some of the surrendered insurgents will tell you they don’t even understand how they are surrendering and coming out in droves.”
Musa disclosed this while speaking with newsmen in Abuja while on a media tour to Maiduguri to assess the progress made by the army in the fight against terrorism.
He further stated that the theatre of operation has maintained its operations to root out the Boko Haram and the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists from the North-East.
The battle for the Valued Added Tax collection in Rivers State has just gained momentum as Governor Nyesom Wike has reportedly relocated to Abuja over the issue.
Governor Wike has been in the news after his declaration which challenged the Federal Inland Revenue Service, FIRS on tax collection in Rivers.
However, reports reaching Naija News on Monday confirmed that Wike and his Finance Commissioner, Isaac Kamalu landed in the federal capital city on Sunday, September 19.
This is understood to be a move to win River state’s purse from the FIRS.
Wike’s trip to Abuja comes after the Appeal Court had said it reserved ruling on the application for a joinder filed by the Lagos State Government.