Sokoto State Governor, Aminu Tambuwal has announced the shutdown of telecommunication network services in the state as part of efforts to combat insecurity.
It is understood that the extreme measure affects 14 out of the 23 local government areas in the state which are the most affected by the attacks.
Naija News reports with the development, Sokoto becomes the third state in Nigeria to take such action after Zamfara and Katsina in order to curb the activities of bandits, kidnappers, terrorists, and other criminals in the area.
The shutdown in Sokoto was confirmed on Monday by the Governor with the Voice of America Hausa Service.
Tambuwal disclosed that approval for the action was taken from the federal government through the Minister of Communication and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami.
The affected local government areas include Dange Shuni, Tambuwal, Sabon Birni, Raba, Tureta, Goronyo, Tangaza, Isa amongst others.
The Governor explained that bandits fleeing from neigbouring Zamfara State due to military onslaught are setting up camps in Sokoto hence the need to take immediate action to flush them out.
“Due to the ongoing military successes in Zamfara State, the bandits are fleeing to Sokoto,” the governor said.
Tambuwal further revealed that the seven governors of the northwest region had previously agreed to shut down the network in the region but executing the agreement has proven to be a challenge.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army has disclosed that some Boko Haram terrorists who have been dropping arms and surrendering to the military do not understand why they are doing so.
The Theatre Commander, Joint Task Force (North-East) Operation Hadin Kai, Maj. Gen. Christopher Musa, while speaking on the issue said, “Some of the surrendered insurgents will tell you they don’t even understand how they are surrendering and coming out in droves.”
Musa disclosed this while speaking with newsmen in Abuja while on a media tour to Maiduguri to assess the progress made by the army in the fight against terrorism.