The Nigerian Military has said updates on the officer kidnapped by armed men during the attack on the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) in Kaduna will be provided later.
It will be recalled that Major Christopher Datong was identified as the officer kidnapped by the terrorists who struck during the attack on NDA last week during the incident in which two other officers lost their lives.
The kidnappers later reportedly contacted the military authorities and demanded a ransom of N200m be paid for his release but no official update has been given since then.
However, on Thursday, the acting director of Defence Media Operations, Brigadier General Benard Onyeuko when asked for an update by newsmen said the issue is becoming over flogged.
Onyeuko was questioned during the press briefing at the Defence Headquarters in Abuja.
Responding, the military spokesperson said the outcome of investigations by the panel set up on the attack is still been awaited and at the right time, Nigerians will be given the necessary update.
“That has been over flogged, we all know the actions taken so far. We will wait for the outcome of the panel set up and the board of enquiry, we will keep you posted on that,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has said that over 5,890 Boko Haram/ISWAP insurgents and their families have so far surrendered to the Nigerian troops in the North East.
Addressing a press conference in Abuja on Thursday, Acting Director, Defence Media Operations, Bernard Onyeuko, said the surrendered terrorists include their commanders and foot soldiers.
Onyeuko added that 565 of the recently surrendered terrorists have been handed over to the Borno State Government for further management after thorough profiling.
The DHQ stated that no fewer than 48 of Boko Haram terrorists, 20 arrested including fighters and commanders were neutralized and their logistic base and facilities including 3 gun trucks were destroyed in the process.