Good morning Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top newspapers headlines in Nigeria for today, Wednesday, 25th August 2021
The Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) has confirmed an earlier story by Naija News that bandit terrorists attacked its facility in Kaduna State on Tuesday morning.
The spokesperson of the NDA, Major Bashir Muhammad Jajira who confirmed the development in a statement said the unidentified gunmen breached the NDA security and gained access to its residential area.
He also confirmed that two officers were killed while one other was abducted by the terrorists.
According to him, the cadets in the academy are safe while a manhunt has been launched to track the hoodlums and recover the abducted officer.
Acting Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Elder Yemi Akinwonmi, on Tuesday, explained why he suspended the party’s National Working Committee, NWC, meeting indefinitely.
He said it was a deliberate decision to allow for broader consultation in the overall interest of the party following the restraining order by a High Court in Port Harcourt, Rivers state; stopping Prince Uche Secondus from parading himself as the leader of the PDP.
Naija News had earlier reported that Akinwonmi has taken over party affairs following the court order against Secondus.
Akinwonmi in a press release made available to journalists in Abuja has now explained why he suspended the NWC meeting.
There is hope for an increment in the salary of police operatives in the country, Inspector-General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba has reiterated.
The IGP made the submission during a visit to the Edo State Command of the Force.
While giving them the assurance, the IGP said there is no need to lose hope as the proposed salary increment will soon be implemented.
Naija News recalls President Muhammadu Buhari had in June 2021, directed the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission to implement an increase in the salaries and wages of police officers in Nigeria.
Buhari in his speech during the handing over event said no federal government since 1999 has placed greater priority on the welfare of security operatives like his government.
Speaking on the strength of the President’s promise, the IGP told operatives on Monday to keep hope alive as the current administration remains committed to their welfare.
The Kebbi State House of Assembly on Tuesday, August 24, impeached the Speaker of the House, Hon. Ismaila Abdulmummuni Kamba, and his deputy, Muhammadu Buhari Aliyu.
Naija News reports that Kamba and Aliyu were impeached during a closed-door plenary session in the Assembly on Tuesday by 20 out of the 24 members of the assembly.
The assembly immediately swore in Muhammad Abubakar Lolo as the new speaker, while Mohammaed Usman Zuru was elected as the new deputy speaker.
This news platform understands that Lolo represents Bagudo West and Aliyu represents Zuru constituency in the assembly.
The Chairman House Committee on Information and Culture, Muhammad Tukur, made their impeachment known to reporters after the plenary session.
President Muhammadu Buhari has been described as the worst president by the Governor of Benue State, Samuel Ortom, due to the security challenges in the country.
The Peoples Democratic Party chieftain also condemned the President’s approach to insecurity.
Ortom while speaking on Channels Tv on Tuesday said he believes Buhari has a hidden agenda with his approach to important issues affecting the country.
He added that there is a clear indication that the president wants to Fulanize Nigeria even though he is not the first Fulani president.
Following speculations that he has already thrown his hat in the ring to contest the 2023 presidential election, Pastor Tunde Bakare says he will either be President Tunde Bakare or remain Pastor Tunde Bakare post-2023, stressing that his initials will be PTB either way.
The Serving Overseer of the Lagos-based Citadel Global Community Church, who spoke during an interview on Channels Television on Tuesday, asserted that he is “terribly shocked” by the “gross failure” in the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.
He stated the country is at the precipice and that many things currently happening in the country have not been seen before, adding that Nigeria has a way of bouncing back.
The running mate to Buhari in the 2011 presidential election stated that this is not the Nigeria he had envisioned, pointing out that Nigerians, including himself, were hopeful about the change promised by the All Progressives Congress (APC).
The request made by the Department of State Services (DSS) seeking to further detain four of the 12 aides of Yoruba nation agitator, Sunday ‘Igboho’ Adeyemo, has been denied.
Naija News reports that Justice Obiora Egwuatu of the Federal High Court struck out the suit filed by the secret police following the dramatic withdrawal by its counsel, Idowu Awo.
At the resumption of the case on Tuesday, Awo stunned the court just as the motion was about to be heard, announcing his decision to withdraw the case.
Rather, he informed the court that he had filed a notice of appeal against the bail granted to four out of the 12 detainees.
The DSS lawyer stated that he would prefer to pursue the appeal at the Court of Appeal.
Thereafter, Justice Egwuatu struck out the motion following the no objection by the detainees’ lawyer, Mr Sunday Adebayo.
A ransom demand of ₦200m has reportedly been made by the bandit terrorists who abducted a military officer during the attack on the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) earlier on Tuesday.
It was gathered that the terrorists contacted the authorities of the academy and demanded the payment of the ransom as a condition that must be met before the officer is released.
It will be recalled as earlier reported by Naija News that the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) has confirmed that bandit terrorists attacked its facility in Kaduna State on Tuesday morning.
A source quoted by FIJ on the matter has now provided more updates, submitting that the attackers have initiated contact and demanded N200m for the Major to be released.
Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State has said that his administration will not be giving any money to repentant terrorists for giving up their arms and surrendering to the military.
Naija News had reported that no fewer than 1,000 Boko Haram members laid down their arms and surrendered to Nigerian troops.
A statement by the army spokesperson, Onyema Nwachukwu, said the repentant terrorists will be processed and passed on to the relevant government agencies for further assessment in line with extant provisions.
Speaking with State House correspondents after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Tuesday, Zulum said the state is ready to accept and reintegrate the repentant terrorists into society.
Zulum stated that he discussed the report of the surrender of Boko Haram insurgents with the President as well as plans to reintegrate them into society.
Major General Ibrahim Ali will not be removed as the General Officer Commanding 3rd Armoured Division, the Nigerian Army has confirmed.
The decision overrules the request made by the Plateau State Chairman of the TEKAN/ECWA Bloc of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Rev Moses Ebuga during a press conference on Monday.
Ebuga had alleged that Ali who also doubles as the Commander of Operation Safe Haven (OPSH) has failed in his responsibilities and is unable to stop terrorists from killing innocent citizens and residents of the community.
He said gunmen and terrorists have continued to unleash mayhem on residents under the watch of Ali, hence the call for his replacement.
However, the Army has absolved Ali of failing in his responsibilities.
The Army in a statement signed by the Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations Officer, Major Eli Lazarus, said those pushing for Ali’s removal are not sincere.
The statement added that sentiments are not considered when deploying personnel of the Army but such people are deployed only based on “competence, training, experience and capabilities.”