Good morning Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top newspapers headlines in Nigeria for today, Tuesday, 24th August 2021
The National Industrial Court, Abuja division, on Monday ordered the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) to suspend its nationwide strike.
Naija News reports the resident doctors on August 2, embarked on strike action, accusing the federal government of failing to implement agreements it had with their union on issues including salaries, hazard allowances, and others.
The strike embarked upon by the doctors had been expected to be close to a peaceful resolution until the resident doctors on Sunday told the federal government they won’t sign the memorandum of understanding put on the table by the government team.
The doctors accused the government of insincerity in its dealings, hence their inability to trust what is contained in the memorandum again since they’ve been deceived previously.
The federal government had before Sunday’s meeting instituted a suit against the association, asking the court for an order of interlocutory injunction restraining the doctors from continuing with the industrial action.
Ruling on Monday, John Targema, the judge, asked all parties in the suit to suspend all forms of hostilities and maintain status quo.
He stated that this should be done pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice.
The Inspector-General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba on Monday told operatives of the Nigeria Police not to hesitate in dealing decisively with members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).
The Police boss who reiterated that the group, led by Nnamdi Kanu has been proscribed by the federal government told police operatives not to allow them (IPOB) to cause any disturbances in any location or under any guise.
The IGP issued the fresh order while speaking at Delta State during a visit to the Police Command in the state.
He cautioned that only a bridge separates Anambra and Delta States (particularly Onitsha and Asaba), hence whatever happens in either state has a great probability of spilling to the other.
The nation’s power grid has suffered its first collapse in the month of August, plunging parts of the country into a blackout.
In a message to its customers on their Facebook pages, Eko Electricity Distribution Company (EKDC) and the Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company said the collapse occurred around 1:00pm on Monday.
According to the EKDC, the electricity grid collapse was attributed to the loss of 611 megawatts at two power stations.
Efforts are in progress to rectify the situation.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has revealed why it invaded the residence of a former housemate in Big Brother Naija reality show, Dorathy.
Naija News had earlier reported that the reality tv star in a post on her Instagram account lamented how it is unsafe to stay in Nigeria after EFCC operatives broke into her house
Dorathy had claimed that the commission invaded her residence, claiming that they are after a suspected internet fraudster.
The anti-graft agency while reacting in a statement on Monday however said its operatives broke into her residence because they refused to open the door.
Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar was in Benin, the Edo State capital on Monday where he held discussions with the state governor, Godwin Obaseki.
Naija News gathered the meeting between the two leaders discussed how the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) will emerge victorious at the 2023 general elections.
Strategies on how to strengthen and reposition the party ahead of the 2023 general elections were said to have featured prominently in their discussions.
Other issues discussed include the challenges of insecurity in the country as well as matters touching on governance.
Justice Obiora Egwuatu of the Federal High Court, Abuja, on Monday signed the release order of four aides of embattled Yoruba activist, Sunday Igboho.
Naija News recalls that the Department of State Services, DSS, had in July 1st arrested 12 aides of the agitator after attacking his house and killing two other people.
Sunday Igboho who narrowly escaped assassination was later arrested in Benin Republic while trying to board a flight to Germany alongside his wife, Ropo, who has since regained her freedom.
However, his arrested aides were arraigned in court for aiding Sunday Igboho in stocking pilling arms.
Though the aides were later granted bail but the judge who was supposed to sign their release order failed to do so, which resulted in them spending 53 days in DSS detention.
But Justice Egwuatu on Monday ignored the persistent argument of the DSS lawyer, Idowu Awo, and signed the Release Order of four of the detainees.
The High Court of Rivers State on Monday stopped the embattled Prince Uche Secondus from parading himself as National Chairman or member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
The injunction was granted Monday by Hon. Justice O. Gbasam of the Degema Judicial Division Vacation Court sitting in Port Harcourt.
The development followed a suit No: PHC/2183/CS/2021 filed by Ibeawuchi Ernest Alex, Dennis Nna Amadi, Emmanuel Stephen and Umezirike Onucha against Uche Secondus (1st defendant) and the PDP (2nd defendant).
The Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige has welcomed the court order which directed the striking resident doctors in Nigeria to resume work.
According to the Minister, however, the order won’t stop the federal government from implementing its own side of the agreement in the fresh memorandum of understanding put on the negotiation table with stakeholders in the health sector over the weekend.
He made this known on Monday through a statement issued by the Deputy Director, Press, in the ministry of Labour and Employment.
President Muhammadu Buhari-led government on Monday released shortlisted candidates for N-Power Batch C.
The National Social Investment Management System, (NASIMS), disclosed this in a statement released on it website.
NASIMS directed all applicants to update their profile and take tests for possible shortlisting to the next stage of the N-Power application process.
It noted that all successful candidates would be forwarded a mail on how to go about the next step, while candidates that are not selected can re-apply for the next batch.
President Muhammadu Buhari has described the late Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi, the wife of the first military Head of State, late General J.T Aguiyi-Ironsi as a light that shone brightly during the dark times of Nigeria.
The President who noted that Victoria never stopped working for the country, even after her husband was killed during a coup process said she will always be remembered for her motherly roles.
Buhari spoke in a condolence message to the family of the deceased who died in the early hours of Monday, 23rd August.
The President’s message, signed by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina prayed that her labours over Nigeria will not be in vain.