Connect with us


Nigerian Newspapers

Top Nigerian Newspapers Headlines For Today, Thursday, 12th August, 2021

Published

on

Top Nigerian Newspapers Headlines For Today, Friday, 26th November, 2021

Good morning Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top newspapers headlines in Nigeria for today, Thursday, 12th August 2021

1. Cars N200, SUVs N300: FG Unveils New Tolling Policy

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday approved the tolling of federal roads and bridges as part of the Tolling Policy and Regulations that had been in the works and is now ready for implementation.

The Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola SAN, told State House correspondents after the Cabinet meeting that the Policy and accompanying Regulations were developed after extensive consultations with various stakeholders within and outside the Government, including Transport Unions like NURTW, NARTO, RTEAN.

He added that a Willingness-To-Pay Survey was carried out, to arrive at the recommended pricing framework. The fees at existing tolled roads (Lagos and Abuja Airport Toll Plazas, and the Lekki and Ikoyi Toll Plazas) were also taken into consideration.

2. FG To Lift Twitter Ban Soon – Lai Mohammed

The federal government of Nigeria has announced its intention to lift the ban on Twitter in a matter of days.

The disclosure was made on Wednesday by the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed while briefing newsmen shortly after the weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting in Abuja.

Mohammed stated that the government negotiation with the micro-blogging platform is at an advanced stage already, saying most of the conditions given to the platform have been accepted.

He revealed that areas still pending include setting up an office and having a Twitter staff of management cadre that will serve as the country representative.

3. APC: Buni Reacts To Supreme Court’s Judgement, Says Malami, Others Solidly Behind Him

Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Caretaker Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC), Governor Mai Mala Buni on Wednesday disclosed that the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami SAN, is solidly behind his leadership of the party.

He also stated that the Progressives Governors’ Forum after reviewing the recent Supreme Court judgment in Jegede versus Akeredolu re-affirmed their support to the CECPC and urged the CECPC to proceed with the Congresses as scheduled”.

The Supreme Court, had in a split judgment of four against three on the Ondo governorship election petition, held that the reason it did not sack Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of the APC, was because the PDP and its governorship candidate, Eyitayo Jegede, failed to join the National Chairman of APC’s Caretaker Committee and Governor of Yobe State, Mai Mala Buni, even when the issues revolved around him.

4. 2023: Why Igbos Can’t Produce Buhari’s Successor – Ex-Minister Reveals

A former Minister of Works, Adeseye Ogunlewe, has stated that people from the southeast are to disunited to produce President Muhammadu Buhari’s successor in 2023.

Naija News reports that the former minister stated this while speaking on Arise TV’s ‘The Morning Show’ programme on Wednesday.

According to Ogunlewe, Southeast inability to unite under a common leadership would work against their 2023 presidential ambition.

The former minister stated that Igbos lack coercion, adding that it would work against them in the 2023 general election.

5. There Will Be More COVID-19 Cases In Nigeria Except… – Lai Mohammed

The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has warned that Nigeria stands the risk of more COVID-19 infections if people continue to let down their guards.
He warned on Wednesday that people are getting relaxed but the country has truly entered the third wave.

According to him, the renewed wave of COVID-19 particularly the Delta variant is not peculiar to Nigeria as many other nations of the world are also battling the issue but people need to continue the practice of handwashing, using nose masks, and other non-pharmaceutical measures in order to reduce the chances of getting infected.

Generally, the Minister observed that there will be more cases if people continue to ignore the seriousness of the situation even as Nigeria continues to record more confirmed cases in the last few weeks.

He warned that the Delta variant is more dangerous than the early variants of the virus.

Mohammed noted however that the federal government through the presidential steering committee on COVID-19 will continue to ensure Nigerians remain safe by giving out national directives and also making the vaccines available.

6. Tinubu Steals Lagos Money Monthly, Doesn’t Have Certificate – Bode George

A former Deputy National Chairman of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Bode George, has accused Bola Ahmed Tinubu of stealing huge amounts of money from Lagos State monthly.

George was reacting to a former Minister of Works, Adeseye Ogunlewe’s remark that Tinubu is the best person to succeed President Muhammadu Buhari in 2023 while speaking on Arise Tv’s ‘Morning Show’ on Wednesday.

Ogunlewe had said Tinubu was the most qualified and mentally capable to take over power from Buhari

Reacting, Bode George accused Tinubu, the national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), of not having a certificate.

The PDP BoT member said Ogunlewe is talking nonsense, adding that the former minister had in the past tackled Tinubu.

7. What We Will Do About Killing Of Eight People By Our Vehicle In Katsina – Customs

The Nigeria Customs Service says it is set to commence the investigation into the accident involving its operational vehicle which killed eight people at the border town of Jibiya, Katsina State.

Naija News reports that this was contained in a press statement issued by Customs Public Relations Officer, Joseph Attah, in Abuja on Wednesday.

In the statement, the organization described the accident as unfortunate, stressing that the probe was necessitated by the need to prevent a recurrence.

8. Oshiomhole Speaks On Plotting To Return As APC Chairman

Former National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Adams Oshiomhole, has refuted reports that he is plotting to return as the party’s helmsman.

Naija News recalls that an APC chieftain, Chief Eze Chukwuemeka Eze, had claimed that the Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, and others were plotting to return Oshiomhole to office

But in a statement in Abuja on Wednesday by his media aide, Victor Oshioke, the former APC chairman described the speculation as false.

He reaffirmed his loyalty to the APC under the leadership of Governor Mai-Mala Buni, adding that he will continue to support the party in his capacity.

9. Kwara APC Crisis: One Faction Defects To YPP

The crisis rocking the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kwara State took a different dimension on Wednesday with the official defection of one of the factions to the Young Progressives Party (YPP).

It will be recalled that the factionalization and leadership crisis within the Kwara APC has polarized party activities for a long time with all the factions laying claim to authenticity.

The differences have seen the state governor, Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, and the Minister of Information and Culture who is also from the state, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, tussle for the control of the arty structure in the state.

But on Wednesday, the faction headed by Alh Yakub Gobir, one of the arrowheads of the “O to ge” movement back in 2019 defected to the YPP.

Spokesman of the faction, Mallam AbdulFatah AbdulRahman said they made the move following the protracted crisis that has hit the APC in the state and has defied all attempts at resolution.

10. FG Denies Relying On COVID-19 Vaccines Donations

The Federal Government has refuted reports that Nigeria is relying on donations for COVID-19 vaccines.

Speaking during an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday, Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, said the reports are false and baseless.

Mohammed noted that Nigeria is expecting a large number of batches of doses of COVID-19 vaccine brands in a few weeks, which are being paid for.

The minister said some of the vaccines were procured through the African Union (AU) which had signed a COVID-19 vaccine procurement agreement for 400 million doses for member-states funded with loans from AFREXIMBANK.

Those are the top Nigerian newspapers headlines for today. Read more Nigerian news on Naija News. See you again tomorrow.