The Minister of Justice and the Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, has given an update on the arraignment of about 400 alleged Boko Haram sponsors and financiers arrested in a nationwide operation in April.
Naija News reports that the arrest of the terrorism suspects and financiers was a sequel to the jailing of six Nigerians in the United Arab Emirates over allegations of terrorism financing.
Speaking in an interview with The PUNCH on Monday, media aide to Malami, Dr. Umar Gwandu, said the process that would lead to the arraignment of about 400 alleged Boko Haram sponsors and financiers was still ongoing.
Gwandu said the suspects including bureau de change operators, were arrested in Kano, Borno, Abuja, Lagos, Sokoto, Adamawa, Kaduna, and Zamfara in April.
He added that criminal charges bordering on terrorism were already being prepared against them as investigations continued into their nefarious activities.
When asked further if the suspects had been charged, he simply replied “Journalists will be notified at an appropriate time.”
Meanwhile, unknown gunmen on Monday killed the son of the community leader at Reke village in Asa Local Government Area of Kwara State.
The village where the incident happened shares a boundary with Pampo, where a US returnee, Muritala Adebayo, was abducted last week.
According to reports, the community leader’s son was reportedly killed after gunmen invaded the community at about 2 am.
It was gathered that the gunmen headed straight to the house of the Magaji of the community, Alhaji Abdullahi Jimoh, and opened fire on his eldest son, Abiodun.
The spokesman of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Babawale Afolabi, confirmed the incident.
He said the corpse of the deceased had been deposited at the hospital for autopsy.