Connect with us



News

Gunmen Attack Police Station, Vigilante Post In Anambra State

Published

on

Audi advised security agencies against what he called service supremacy and rivalry which he says will be a challenge to the collaboration needed to win the war against bandits.

Unknown gunmen have unleashed another round of mayhem on security formations in Anambra State, attacking the Ozubulu police station.

The gunmen also attacked the Anambra State Vigilante office at Ozubulu, Ekwusigo Local Government Area of the state.

The incident was confirmed by the police spokesperson in the state, Ikenga Tochukwu who noted that the attack occurred at about 7 pm on Sunday night.

Tochukwu added that no casualty was recorded on the part of the police during the attack on the police station as the officers repelled the attacking gunmen but two yet-to-be-identified persons sustained gun wounds.

An investigation has been opened into the matter, Naija News further gathered.

“The hoodlums who came with a Toyota Sienna vehicle and motorcycles started shooting sporadically.

“Unfortunately two yet unidentified persons sustained gunshot injury,” Tochukwu said.

The hoodlums after the attack, however, set ablaze a Toyota Corolla car parked close to the station.

“Meanwhile the hoodlums in a bid to escape set ablaze a Toyota Corolla parked not very far from the station. An investigation is ongoing and efforts are in top gear to arrest the perpetrators of the ugly act. However, normalcy has been restored in the area,” he added.

However, an eyewitness quoted by Daily Trust said five dead bodies were seen at the location of the incident.

It was also reported that five persons suspected to be members of the Anambra Vigilante Group were reported killed during the attacks by unidentified gunmen in Ozubulu, Ekwusigo Local Government Area of the State.

Meanwhile, former Head of State, Abdulsalami Abubakar, has distanced himself from the alleged link with armed bandits or any terrorist group attacking communities in Niger State.

Abubakar in a statement released through his spokesman, Yakubu Suleiman, described the allegations as “false and unfounded.”

The former head of state in a report had been linked to a purported arrested helicopter supplying food and weapon to bandits in parts of the State.

Abubakar in his reaction to the allegation noted that he would have ignored the report but had to set the record straight.