The Lagos State Police Command has said embattled Nollywood actor, Olanrewaju Omiyinka, better known as Baba Ijesha will remain in its custody till further developments.
Naija News understands that there had been outrage by actors and concerned Nigerians over the plan by the police to release the actor accused of child sexual violation on Friday.
To clear the air on the controversy, the Lagos Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, in a statement made available to newsmen a few moments ago while parading suspects at the police command headquarters said Baba Ijesha will remain in custody.
contrary to reports making the rounds, Odumosu said the actor would remain in custody pending the legal advice from the Ministry of Justice, adding that all parties, including the victim and the accused, were interviewed at the police command on Wednesday.
He said, “You don’t do trial on pages of the newspaper. There are two cases involved in the Baba Ijebu case: he was alleged seven years ago to have defiled a girl and the girl is now 14 years. At that time, no complaint was made, but last week, a video went viral where he was arrested for sexual assault.
“When a man touches a woman where he is not supposed to, without authority and consent, that is what is called sexual assault. That is exactly what is there. He admitted that he actually assaulted.
“The case of defilement added to it is still under thorough investigation. Sexual assault is a bailable offence, it is not like rape. For three hours yesterday (Wednesday), they were all with me, I interviewed all of them, one after the other, including the girl that was allegedly assaulted, the mother of the girl, and Baba Ijesha.
“We have compiled the case and sent it to the DPP, Office of the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Lagos State, for legal advice. Based on legal advice, action would be taken, but for now, Baba Ijesha is still in our custody.”
Meanwhile, Baba Ijesha had begged earlier to be allowed to kill himself rather than send him to prison over the crime he committed seven years ago, Naija News reports.
Source: Naija News